|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What brands of Travel Trailers are NEW & Quality

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
grubbster

home

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/19 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This trend is happening across most purchased goods. It's not unique to the RV industry. It's our disposable culture.
For RV quality I have been very happy with my NuCamp T@B. They are not cheap but quality and cheap almost never go together. The designs are well thought out and they use quality components including custom made baltic birch cabinets which are very solid. None of this quarter inch luan ply **** they use in most campers now.
They are also coming out with a larger trailer soon that looks to rival Airstream in quality called the Avia. There are some tour videos on Youtube. Look them up.

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crasster wrote:

So what brands of Travel Trailers today have REAL quality?

From what one can take from this thread, the brands that have real quality are the brand that the person replying purchased about 99% of the time?[emoticon]

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/19 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Taylor Coach in Ontario.

I really cannot complain about our camper. Absolutely nothing has gone wrong or bad that can be contributed to the manufacturer or suppliers except for a slight leak in the skylight that caused no damage and was easily remedied.
We paid less than $15k for a used 6 month old camper that the owner traded in on a larger one. Yeah, it’s full of luaun and OSB, vinyl wrapped plywood cabinet carcasses, cheap electronics, etc.
I’ve built boats and houses and converted a cargo trailer. Absolutely no way could I replicate our camper for 15 grand; not even close.
As many on this forum keep saying, not many are willing to pay for real quality for what amounts to a small time frame use for most people. If you are willing, there are custom coach businesses that will gladly take your money.
There’s my nickel.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kip- I agree with you. The low price of the mass produced RV allows families and people with modest incomes to enjoy the same places as those in a high end build.

Kind of like comparing Walmart to Neiman Marcus. Heck of a lot more people can afford Walmart.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crasster wrote:

mosseater wrote:

I mean, how much longer does it take to properly drive a screw to do it's job than to slop it in sideways and miss the intended component?

YES. This is exactly the problem. People continue to buy junk.
It doesn't take longer to do something correctly than doing it wrong. It's the industry culture that drives poor workmanship. Nobody cares, neither the manufacturer or workers.

I often hear folks say the problem is because people continue to buy junk. But many are first-time buyers with no experience in RVs and just don't how bad quality is and wouldn't know what better quality is even if someone showed it to them. Buying choice will be based on price, bling and floor plans.

When we bought our first TT and knew nothing about them, we had the expectation they're similar to say cars & houses where there are laws protecting you, industry standards & gov't oversight, quality control and pride in workmanship. Wrong - not even close! I would say many first-time buyers have a similar expectation.

Our worst experience was finding out we had a serious issue the day we owned another previous TT that eventually led to it being replaced under warranty. Have had many, many ongoing smaller issues to deal with over the 5 seasons we've owned our current TT due to bad workmanship and last one last season was a leaking PEX fitting behind the shower that was improperly done. Never seems to end.

The Jayco 7 hour factory build video pretty much sums up how all the TTs in Indiana are built. Photo below is a screenshot from the video. As Colbert would say "shop manager who is freaked out their TT is falling apart before it even gets out the door".

[image]

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

TBammer

Mid-Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm buying an Arctic Fox next week. I chose them based on a number of things, not the least of which is tank size. It's definitely heavier/beefier. I'll let you know what I think.

2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

Vulcanmars

Naples, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/19 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like others I have been around campers most of my life. They are the worst when the economy is the good. Everyone is racing to produce as fast as possible. When the economy tanks, I'm pretty sure they hold onto the better workers and slow down.

Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

normal_dave

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Northwood's Nash line is a surprisingly well built trailer, and tough to boot. Very similar to Arctic Fox and Outdoors RV, but traditional wood frame walls and fiberglass insulation. Same heavy duty frame with shock absorbers, and the wood framing is very strong compared to the typical. Also includes a decent 4 seasons package for those Texas Summers. They have a dealer over in Baird, TX with decent inventory. (Hanner)

1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, myredracer, I have to disagree.
I used to do custom woodworking in a previous life. I can absolutely say that it does take more time to do the work properly than to just slap something together.
For example: making drawers. A couple minutes to staple butt joints. An hour or so for dados. A few hours for dovetails.
That comparison can be made for everything in a camper, even placing a screw correctly. It may only be a second or so, but it does take longer. Unfortunately, time is money and the manufacturers must have figured out that warranty work is cheaper.

I wonder how much time it takes to put a Jayco together compared to an Artic Fox of the same size.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The custom builders are not pushed like the mass produced get your quota done and go home. I went through the New Horizon plant in Junction City Kansas. The difference was very interesting. I talked to the cabnet builder and some other workers along with the owner. The draw back is most people cannot afford to spend that much money. The frames and the welds were very nice. Being able to sit down and pick every aspect of the build was a plus as well. I would not mind a used New Horizon or Excel with hickory interior.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What brands of Travel Trailers are NEW & Quality
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS