|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Stolen Minivan Recovered

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About a month ago, while visiting friends in Albuquerque NM, my 2015 Toyota Sienna minivan was stolen from a motel parking lot. Virtually all my possessions were on board since I was anticipating a possible move here. All of my clothes, an almost new HP laptop, printer, and Garmin GPS device, among other things..all gone. In addition, there were less than 15k miles on the vehicle(virtually new condition).

I received a call from the police dep't and was told my vehicle has been recovered and is located in a local tow yard. I'm going there this afternoon to see if any belongings are still in the vehicle, although I'm sure all objects of any value are gone. In addition, I need to sign a release to the insurance company so they can retrieve the vehicle since they deemed it totaled and now own it.

In the meanwhile, I purchased a brand new 2019 Toyota Sienna. Of course, I would have preferred to keep my 2015 model since it was in practically perfect condition. I came to find out that Albuquerque has a very high stolen vehicle rate per capita, plus a high vehicle accident rate. If I had known that beforehand, I probably wouldn't have traveled here. Oh well, all's well that ends well.[emoticon] In addition, my insurance rate on the new vehicle went up only a little over $2/year.

BTW, if I may plug my insurance company: Progressive. They handled the situation very well, IMO.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/19 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel your pain. When we were in Seattle a few years ago our rental car got broken into and we lost 2 complete expensive camera set-ups, two laptops, some miscellaneous small stuff and all my clothes. We were on our way back to the airport for the red-eye back to Boston, were parked in a well-lit parking lot and it happened in less than 10 minutes. Police didn't give a cr*p because it happens so much they've just given up. Our insurance company, Hanover, handled things very well also. I am so sorry you've had to go through this. It's emotionally very tough for most people.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/19 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had our RV trailer stolen off our property a number of years ago. Didn't get back it back, gone forever.

I know you wanted to have your 'like new' 2015 Toyota van back, but take my word for it, I think you're probably better off with out it and having a new van.

You don't know how it was treated while stolen, could well have the ...you know what...driven out of it, maybe hidden damage to suspension, transmission, engine, etc...that will turn up later.

A work colleague of mine about 25 years ago had her newer Dodge Caravan stolen. They got it back and had to wrangle for a long time with the insurance company in regards to non obvious damage to the car mechanicals, caused by the time it was stolen.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/19 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some thoughts I typed in another thread
LOJACK can be added to any ride. once you figure out your ride is missing you Buzz the fuzz and when they enter the car in the NCIC (National Crime INformation Center) computer LOJACK gets a flash and sends a command out activating the car's beeper. When a police officer inquires on the ID he sees on his radio receiver.. It goes into fast mode and you get your car back.. IF that is it has not already been parted out by the time you figure out it's gone.

Teletrack. if it's still out there. Can tell you the car has been stolen and the police where it is at.

ON-Guard (A FORD system) and ON Guard (GM's competing system) both systems also licensed to other car makers

Can find your car. Disable your car. Advise you of "Trouble codes" and more Lock and unlock the doors.

True story.. A new Escalade was ripped off. I got the BOL (Be on lookout) But.. ESCaladeS.. ALL OF 'em.. Have On Star and the 1st year is FREE (included in the sale price) so.. I sent the 800 number for the monitoring center back to the entering agency and about 15 minutes later sent troopers to recover the ride.

I have a like story with ON-Guard only that Mustang was.. The Department's bait car.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/19 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how it works or how it got setup but every time I shut my wrangler off I get a parked car alert on my phone showing location.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how it works or how it got setup but every time I shut my wrangler off I get a parked car alert on my phone showing location.

Hubby has this too and he doesn't know how it got there either!

mr. ed

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a chance today to visit my recovered vehicle at the tow company storage lot. With a friend's help, we searched the vehicle for any recoverable items belonging to me. All we found was an external computer hard drive and a pair of sunglasses. The interior was also pretty well trashed and it was obvious the thief was also a drug abuser and both he and a female were living in the van, at least part time. We also found 2 fully loaded clips for a semi-auto pistol(appeared to be .380 or 9mm). Anyhow, the vehicle is now the insurance company's concern and this chapter is over.

mr. ed

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lessmore wrote:

We had our RV trailer stolen off our property a number of years ago. Didn't get back it back, gone forever.

I know you wanted to have your 'like new' 2015 Toyota van back, but take my word for it, I think you're probably better off with out it and having a new van.

You don't know how it was treated while stolen, could well have the ...you know what...driven out of it, maybe hidden damage to suspension, transmission, engine, etc...that will turn up later.

A work colleague of mine about 25 years ago had her newer Dodge Caravan stolen. They got it back and had to wrangle for a long time with the insurance company in regards to non obvious damage to the car mechanicals, caused by the time it was stolen.

I agree with you, Lessmore. When I said I'd like my 2015 vehicle back, I really meant, like it was before the theft. Shoulda made that clear.

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

That's kind of scary.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

I'm going to assume it's some sort of phone GPS function? Sounds pretty clever!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Stolen Minivan Recovered
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS