RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Proper Protocol for “Complimentary Roof Inspection”

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Proper Protocol for “Complimentary Roof Inspection”

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
TheBar

MS

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Halmfamily wrote:

But some 4" Eternabond tape and seal over all of your joints and sealant. Follow the directions and you won't have to worry about failed sealant again. I did this to both of our FW's and in five years haven't had to touch it.

X3. I covered every roof seam including the trim on all four sides and around all the vents and AC. I'll never need to caulk the roof again. But be warned this could affect your trade in value. It should increase the value but a dealer doesn't want to sell an RV where he can't sell a re-caulk job every 3 years.

Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C
DW loves it more than I do

pmlevine

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/19 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winnietrey wrote:

Dave H M wrote:

winnietrey wrote:

as an after thought, if those holes, were there before you took it to the dealer, why would they be white, when the rest of the Dicor is stained? That makes me kind of wondering, if the dealer did something, To try and sell you a roof job

Too lazy this am to go back through and study things but I was under the impression that that was the photo the stealer sent the OP. [emoticon]

If it happened, prior to taking it to the dealer, I would expect, all the Dicor to be the same color. When I zoom in, on the pic, it almost looks to me, like someone sliced the Dicor and lifted it up and peeled it back. Could have been a branch or something, but if the Dealer did it, that would be pretty cheeseball

I had the TT covered all winter with a heavy duty RV cover, after I cleaned the roof this past fall. So no trees or branches can account for the gouged holes in the sealant.

dhull

apple valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That look exactly like a few of the seems I found that had bubbles under them after I put the needle nose pliers to it and ripped the top off the bubble before applying more dicor over top.

OleManOleCan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/19 11:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guidry wrote:

There’s no complementary, it’s just like a car dealership doing a “free 38 point inspection”; it’s a chance to find something to repair and charge you. They WILL find something and like you suspect, they’ll even make sure you have damage so they can get your money. Buy some Dicor lap sealant and do the easy job yourself-$12.00

Learn to do all your maintenance yourself and you’ll be a much happier camper!

Find another location for maintenance.
Looks like someone is setting you up to take a lot of money.
It's easy to do your own roof replace. $150 or less.
Watch a couple of YouTube videos, and see how it's done.

derh20

Vancouver-Not BC, WA-Not DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After years of going to rv service shops, one really bad outcome made me going to mobile RV repair guy. without going into detail, the service shop de-winterized my MH and made 2 potentially dangerous errors, one involving the propane tank. One of the problems is they hire these young people with limited knowledge, and training and you don't know what they are doing behind closed doors. With a mobile person, you can be there watching everything that is being done. Just my thoughts.

pmlevine

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a very good option to have a mobile RV tech arrive to perform maintenance instead of bring the RV into a service center. I am totally on-board with watching a reliable mobile RV tech perform maintenance, so I can learn to do things myself.
How do members find a reliable mobile RV tech ?

bob2194

Cache,Ok Gateway to the Wichita Wildlife Refuge

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Halmfamily wrote:

But some 4" Eternabond tape and seal over all of your joints and sealant. Follow the directions and you won't have to worry about failed sealant again. I did this to both of our FW's and in five years haven't had to touch it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This the best advice!!! I will do the same to my new TT

20 year U.S Army veteran and still serving. Vehicle inspector (ARMY)
2018 Radiance 28QB pulled by 2018 F250 STX 6.2 Gasser
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Proper Protocol for “Complimentary Roof Inspection”
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS