|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> single or dually

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Putting extended reach valve stems on dually tires is a PITA, particularly if one rotates tires often"

I use a double ended chuck. Simply push to inflate inner tire and pull to inflate outer. EZ-CHEEZY

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/19 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The length of a crew cab long bed makes it far more cumbersome in tight places than the hips of a dually.

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 103k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

hot rod

muskegon,mi

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder how many of the comments about length of CC are due to the younger people knowing only the smaller cars of today. For us older ones who remember and drove the cars of the late 50's thru 70's especially Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Caddy they really aren't much different in size. Plus back then you needed to know how to parallel park which now for many is a thing of the past

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe one day they will put Super Singles on pickup trucks and do away with the DRW as we know it.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hannibal wrote:

The length of a crew cab long bed makes it far more cumbersome in tight places than the hips of a dually.

"No Hill For a Climber"

[image]

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hot rod wrote:

I wonder how many of the comments about length of CC are due to the younger people knowing only the smaller cars of today. For us older ones who remember and drove the cars of the late 50's thru 70's especially Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Caddy they really aren't much different in size. Plus back then you needed to know how to parallel park which now for many is a thing of the past

My first car was a ‘69 Mercury Comet Sport Coupe. What car from that era was over 22’ long and over 8’ wide? I have a Harley that’s older than some members here. I have no problem parallel parking, backing a trailer or driving a standard trans vehicle. That doesn’t remove the fact that a CC long bed dually is cumbersome in a tight parking lot. [emoticon]

hot rod

muskegon,mi

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 69 Comet wasn't a full size car it was an intermediate. My CC dually isn't over 22' long it's just under that and just over 2' longer than a 69 Caddy. Some people shouldn't drive anything bigger than a Prius as they aren't comfortable doing so to others it's no big deal. Just like mountain driving some are fine others aren't.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/19 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Young folks do not know how to drive BIG twucks! or emanual transmissions! hot rod does not know my kids. My eldest daughters learned with my 05 dually dmax crew cab! Both took drivers test in the 2000 reg cab pickup I have. Granted both are autos. BUT, BOTH can drive manual transmissions. Sons drove my 96 crew cab with a 5 sp manual. They also drive my navistar that is longer than a pickumup!
Yes, some do not know how to drive things longer than a prius. Many probably can in reality. Especially those with parent that have longer rigs.

I'll take a rig with super singles over a dual rear rig if I had a choice.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/19 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hot rod wrote:

A 69 Comet wasn't a full size car it was an intermediate. My CC dually isn't over 22' long it's just under that and just over 2' longer than a 69 Caddy. Some people shouldn't drive anything bigger than a Prius as they aren't comfortable doing so to others it's no big deal. Just like mountain driving some are fine others aren't.

One day in 2013 my DW told me I was spending over $700 a month on gas for the truck using it on my service route. I joked with her that I was going to buy a Prius. She started looking online and within a month, I loaded over 200 lbs of tools and parts into my new Prius Xsp. Not only did I go from 12-14mpg to 53~mpg, it fit in places the F250 didn’t. It’s not the smallest car out there by far at 15ft long and 6ft wide and 3100 lbs but it works for a lot of apps. Wife drove the F250 to work until I retired and we traded back. At almost 100k miles, the Prius has been a good car.

* This post was edited 05/26/19 05:25am by Hannibal *

hot rod

muskegon,mi

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Young folks do not know how to drive BIG twucks! or emanual transmissions! hot rod does not know my kids. My eldest daughters learned with my 05 dually dmax crew cab! Both took drivers test in the 2000 reg cab pickup I have. Granted both are autos. BUT, BOTH can drive manual transmissions. Sons drove my 96 crew cab with a 5 sp manual. They also drive my navistar that is longer than a pickumup!
Yes, some do not know how to drive things longer than a prius. Many probably can in reality. Especially those with parent that have longer rigs.

I'll take a rig with super singles over a dual rear rig if I had a choice.

Marty

Go back and read what I wrote. I never said young people don't know how to drive bigger vehicles I questioned whether or not that was the reason for many thinking that trucks such as a CC dually were so big. I also never mention driving a stick. Good for your kids they are not the average unless in a farming area. Back in the mid 80's when she was 15 my daughter was driving a CC with an 11' camper pulling a 4 horse trailer. But I now have a couple of grand daughters who are in their 20's who don't even care to get a drivers license.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> single or dually
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS