|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Generator etiquette

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned. It depends on where you are. A NP campground states you can't run them during quiet hours. No matter how hot it is, or how quiet you think your generator is.
I do know that in the NP CGs on the Blue Ridge Park way. There is no such thing as a "quiet" generator. In the stillness that is the BRP, you can hear a lantern burning a football field away. So your internal combustion engine is quite the noise maker.

IMOP. IF you just got to have electricity, and you are not out somewhere all alone. You need to stay in a Cg that has hookups.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read the campground rules.
Usually it is 11:00 PM, but if it was me I would be more considerate and not run it after 9:30 or 10:00

Guy

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/19 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many state and national park campgrounds have limited generator hours.
8pm is pretty much the latest.
I've never seen any public campgrounds allow generator usage past 9pm.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi GordonThree,

Grand Rapids has an average monthly Global Horizontal Irradiance (GHI) of 3.79 kilowatt hours per square meter per day (kWh/m2/day), which is approximately 4% greater than the average monthly Direct Normal Irradiance (DNI) of 3.65 kWh/m2/day.

This is better than Minot ND which is about 200 miles south of where I live. I do believe in solar!

https://www.solarenergylocal.com/states/michigan/grand-rapids/

GordonThree wrote:

I don't believe in solar. The insolation is very low in my area and the weather not very cooperative. Gasoline works day or night, rain or shine.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/19 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I need the generator to charge the batteries I try to use it in the afternoon rather than morning or night. If I need it for the AC I shut it off around dinnertime, 6pm or so. Let everyone have a quiet evening.

Most parks I've been in require them to be shut off around 8-9pm. I have been in campgrounds that only allowed generators between 1 and 4 pm.

And my experience is that a honda/yamaha etc. is much quieter than any onboard generator I've been around. wouldn't expect that, but that's my take.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/19 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were across a field from a large class A that decided to turn on his very noisy on-board diesel generator at 6;00am. I had to drive 5 miles to get the ranger to get him to shut that darned thing off. He would not come to the door so that I didn't have to get the ranger. He was really pizzed off that I snitched him out-his words. Quiet times were 8pm until 8 am.
I guess his coffee and microwave breakfast were more important than everyone else's sleep and quiet time.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your neighbors are running their genny they can't hear yours. Ideally running time should be be kept to a minimum needed & everyone run more or less together. Don't be running a genny for small loads. That is what inverters are for. Run when more than just battery charging is needed. Mealtimes are good.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/19 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The WMA's in FLA I stayed at shut them down at 8pm. Had to go tell that to 1 guy & then he followed the time rules.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We borrowed a friends Honda 2000EU generator last year. First time ever using a gen.

It was hot and muggy during the day, but not bad at night, so we didn't "need" A/C at night.

Since we had the gen to use the A/C, it was running at full throttle. Found out that the vaunted "quiet" running of the Hondas is when they are on "eco" mode and basically only idling (charging camper battery and using fans, other light electrical loads). To run the A/C they have to be at full throttle. When running at full throttle, the Hondas are not as loud as an open "contractor" generator, but they are not quiet.

We didn't start up the gen until 8am, and shut it off by dark - around 8pm.

I did talk to a neighboring camper who was using a tent. Fortunately the sites were large and had good separation. I told him when I would be running the gen, and if he had any issues to please let me know. He seemed to appreciate the talk, and we had no problems.

Besides following campground rules, running generators I think is very dependent on the situation. If it is a quiet, cool afternoon - do you really have to run the gen? Even if it is within the proper time, it is just not needed.

If you were "first" to a camping area with limited rules, and basically was able to run your gen whenever, when someone else sets up after you please don't claim "first dibs" and run your gen all night. I would use discretion and shut down the gen at a reasonable hour, and start it up late in the morning - or even wait until afternoon. This is all situational. If the neighboring camper walks over and asks if it is okay to run his gen at night, then go for it! You both run your gens over night and bask in air conditioning.

Pretty much everything regarding camping and noise is common sense and being aware of your surroundings - especially neighbors.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many campgrounds have strict rules. For National Parks, generators are often prohibited except in certain areas. When allowed use is typically restricted to a couple of hours after 8am, a couple hours for lunch and the evening curfew is typically 8 pm. I have been involved as a campground host and pretty much every evening had to have people turn off generators. There are no exceptions for hot weather.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Generator etiquette
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS