|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Generator etiquette

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big_steve wrote:

If you're in a camp area without electric, but still there are others around, how late is it okay to run your generator into the evening? And are generators in MHs more quiet that setting one up outside a TT?

My first question what kind of generator? Inverter generators and much quieter than open frame of the same size. Many prefer Honda (expensive) and many like the Champion.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

site hiccup again

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big_steve wrote:

If you're in a camp area without electric, but still there are others around, how late is it okay to run your generator into the evening? And are generators in MHs more quiet that setting one up outside a TT?

Except for stopping for some rest at a Walmart parking lot, we always camp in campgrounds with at least water and electric, so don't run the generator with one exception - if the power at the campground is out. We lost power for 5 days one time, but only ran the generator to charge the battery usually for a few hours mid-morning.

Our Class C motorhome had a 4000 Watt on-board Onan generator that I thought was loud. Then after Hurricane Matthew blew through, we lost power. Our neighbor a few houses away was running his open frame generator to power his TT. Standing at the front door of our house with our MH in the driveway 10 feet away, I could hear the open frame generator about 100 feet away over our Motorhome's generator. That thing was crazy loud. I don't know how they stayed in the TT all day.

The on-board generators are somewhere in the middle between an inverter generator and an open frame generator. As far as I am concerned, all generators are loud. Some are just louder than others.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Big_steve

SW Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a cheap, loud generator. Even after the hurricane when we were without power for 6 days, I only ran it a couple of hours before work in the AM, and after work. I shut down at 10 at night, to give the neighbors a break. That was plenty to keep the freezer and fridge cold, run a small microwave and some fans and a light or two. Don't have an RV yet. So just trying to sort things out. Guess if I'm going to be using a generator a lot, I should look into something quieter.

mgirardo wrote:

Big_steve wrote:

Except for stopping for some rest at a Walmart parking lot, we always camp in campgrounds with at least water and electric, so don't run the generator with one exception - if the power at the campground is out. We lost power for 5 days one time, but only ran the generator to charge the battery usually for a few hours mid-morning.

Our Class C motorhome had a 4000 Watt on-board Onan generator that I thought was loud. Then after Hurricane Matthew blew through, we lost power. Our neighbor a few houses away was running his open frame generator to power his TT. Standing at the front door of our house with our MH in the driveway 10 feet away, I could hear the open frame generator about 100 feet away over our Motorhome's generator. That thing was crazy loud. I don't know how they stayed in the TT all day.

The on-board generators are somewhere in the middle between an inverter generator and an open frame generator. As far as I am concerned, all generators are loud. Some are just louder than others.

-Michael

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cocky_Camper wrote:

We are in the south... if it is hot and humid, it is running all night.

IB853347201 wrote:

Generally quiet time is 11-7, so one should try to avoid running a generator past 11. Sometimes it is too hot to avoid.
Yes, generally MH built in gennys are substantially quieter than portables. Especially those large Champion inexpensive potable ones. Those will keep the whole park up at night. Saw one guy place folding tables around, up against his to create a sound barrier, made a huge difference.

Perhaps I am misreading but it seems some think because its hot, that generator operating times and quiet times do not apply? I've yet to stay at a campground that did not have specific rules/times regarding genny use or quiet times. Most if not all usually have a catch all where you can not disturb others.

I have also not ever seen nor heard an onboard generator in a MH that was substantially quieter than one of the better inverter portable ones. From what I have seen an onboard is substantially louder. Once we were sandwiched between two new class A's and did not know if we were at a campground or on the approach to JFK.

Over the last 5-10 years we have noticed a substantial decline in general "campground etiquette" for whatever reason.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I have read, the "hot" factor is dependent upon region. Some regions are more generous regarding nighttime generator use than others.

In the end, you follow the stated rules. If there aren't any, then follow the majority of campers - if all but 3 are using generators at night then you should be OK; if only 3 are using them at night, then you are likely to have issues.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Generator etiquette
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS