RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Arctic Fox 1163 TRUCK CAMPER Full Tour video !

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Arctic Fox 1163 TRUCK CAMPER Full Tour video !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

What would the truck cost to haul this camper? The camper itself must be over $50k new. If space is important wouldn't a 24ft Class C with a full wall slide have more room, storage and be a lot less costly?

I'm guessing you don't own a truck camper?

Advantages to a truck camper:

Available 4x4 with better ground clearance means you can get to places a class c can't.

When you make camp you can remove the camper and sightsee in something much easier to get around and park.

When you aren't camping you have a pick up truck and all the utility that brings. A class C just sits there costing money for registration, maintenance and insurance.

You would surprised how spacious multi slide truck campers are inside.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we are talking about copying designs, aren’t most just variations of Host designs. That is, they got to most of the innovations first. As someone else said though, there is only so much uniqueness any manufacturer can add.

As far as cost goes, Gjac, TCs and trucks to haul them are really expensive. Of course, diesel pushers up to half a million or more and the Class Cs/Bs built on the sprinter platform can also be about $150K which isn’t exactly cheap. Most of us got into TCs because we needed trucks for other reasons or planned to tow trailers behind our trucks.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 1181 weighs 5240 without water. I have been carrying it on my 1996 Chevy Cheyenne c3500 since 2013 with no problem. I also tow a small 15 foot fishing boat. The weight is nominal. My upgrades are an extra set of leaf springs in the rear, a rear sway bar and upgraded front brakes.

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That thing loaded will easily be over 3 tons. F550 would be my choice of chariot.

They were asking $45k when I was there.

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 12:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

Gjac wrote:

What would the truck cost to haul this camper? The camper itself must be over $50k new. If space is important wouldn't a 24ft Class C with a full wall slide have more room, storage and be a lot less costly?

I'm guessing you don't own a truck camper?

Advantages to a truck camper:

Available 4x4 with better ground clearance means you can get to places a class c can't.

When you make camp you can remove the camper and sightsee in something much easier to get around and park.

When you aren't camping you have a pick up truck and all the utility that brings. A class C just sits there costing money for registration, maintenance and insurance.

You would surprised how spacious multi slide truck campers are inside.

Definitely not a TC owner......

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

If we are talking about copying designs, aren’t most just variations of Host designs. That is, they got to most of the innovations first. As someone else said though, there is only so much uniqueness any manufacturer can add.

As far as cost goes, Gjac, TCs and trucks to haul them are really expensive. Of course, diesel pushers up to half a million or more and the Class Cs/Bs built on the sprinter platform can also be about $150K which isn’t exactly cheap. Most of us got into TCs because we needed trucks for other reasons or planned to tow trailers behind our trucks.
No not a TC owner, but started looking at TC's and smaller C's. What started me looking was the idea of having a truck to use when not camping. I don't have a need to tow anything and am retired so don't need a work truck so for me a DRW truck would be an overkill to use as a DD. The thought of having to buy a DRW 450 truck for having a multi slide TC to use as a DD started me looking at the 24 ft C's with full wall slides. Everything is a trade off and we all think differently that is why there are so many camper types to buy. But for my situation a SRW 2500 truck with a lighter camper would be ideal. If I wanted more space,more storage and more FW I would just stay with an A.

billyray50

North Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes every type of RV has its pro and cons.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Arctic Fox 1163 TRUCK CAMPER Full Tour video !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS