RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Generator questions

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Generator questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
midnightsadie

ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 01/07/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/13/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that would be a good guess, bet he won,t chime in and tell us?

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/13/19 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

I suspect he has an on board fuel tank for filling the toys that he is confusing with the fuel tank for the generator. So the generator tank is still empty.


Judging by the pictures, That makes sense. Hopefully we will get this mystery solved.


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2015

View Profile



Posted: 05/13/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Oh goody, huge pictures.


That is good for old guys like you to be able to see them.
[emoticon]

wra

Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 09/06/2008

View Profile



Posted: 05/13/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your generator may get its fuel from the RV's gas tank. If it does, the generator gets its fuel from a pipe that has its lower end a bout two inches from the bottom of the tank. When the fuel goes below that level, the generator runs out of fuel, but there is gas left for the RV engine to start and get to a gas station.

Another guess is that the generator electric shut off valve is stuck closed. You can find it by looking at the carburetor. If there are wires going to it, the shut off valve is at the end of the wires and be in the path of your gas line. It should unscrew from the carburetor. Disassemble the valve and clean it. After cleaning, the small cylinder should be spring loaded and move easily. The valve operates by a electric magnet that causes the valve to open and close. After cleaning, reassemble it, and it should work.

thehippie

United States

Full Member

Joined: 03/05/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/14/19 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

I suspect he has an on board fuel tank for filling the toys that he is confusing with the fuel tank for the generator. So the generator tank is still empty.
the generator tank is the same tank to fill the toys. I only
Have one tank


And no. I don’t have toys.

thehippie

United States

Full Member

Joined: 03/05/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/14/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

thehippie wrote:

I have used the generator for almost 2 full days and still it says it’s full

You said your generator would turn on for a few seconds and then turn off. Now you say you used it for 2 days.
Is it running, I'm confused?
it doesn’t run


I suspect the gas tank is low


But the fuel gauge still says its full


I’ve used this before for 2 days and the fuel gauge always go down

thehippie

United States

Full Member

Joined: 03/05/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/14/19 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Gee, at 3:35 pm...”my Generator Cummins Onan 4k would only turn on for few seconds and it would turn off..”

At 4:21 pm...”I have used the generator for almost 2 full days and still it says it’s full”
read again please.

thehippie

United States

Full Member

Joined: 03/05/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/14/19 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wra wrote:

Your generator may get its fuel from the RV's gas tank. If it does, the generator gets its fuel from a pipe that has its lower end a bout two inches from the bottom of the tank. When the fuel goes below that level, the generator runs out of fuel, but there is gas left for the RV engine to start and get to a gas station.

Another guess is that the generator electric shut off valve is stuck closed. You can find it by looking at the carburetor. If there are wires going to it, the shut off valve is at the end of the wires and be in the path of your gas line. It should unscrew from the carburetor. Disassemble the valve and clean it. After cleaning, the small cylinder should be spring loaded and move easily. The valve operates by a electric magnet that causes the valve to open and close. After cleaning, reassemble it, and it should work.
thanks. I’ll check it out.

4x4van

California

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/29/19 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no clue what the issue is or what you are trying to get across since you have contradicted yourself several times. You say that it has run before for 2 days and the fuel gauge always goes down. But it won't run now, the fuel gauge reads full, and trying to add gas spills out of the filler neck. Why would you suspect that it is low on fuel?

I'd be checking the fuel filter, as well as the fuel pump (on the generator, not the fueling station).


We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

thehippie

United States

Full Member

Joined: 03/05/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/31/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

I have no clue what the issue is or what you are trying to get across since you have contradicted yourself several times. You say that it has run before for 2 days and the fuel gauge always goes down. But it won't run now, the fuel gauge reads full, and trying to add gas spills out of the filler neck. Why would you suspect that it is low on fuel?

I'd be checking the fuel filter, as well as the fuel pump (on the generator, not the fueling station).
it's ok. Im bringing this to dealership next week. Thanks for the replies.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Generator questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS