RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Rubber Roof Cleaner and Protectant

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rubber Roof Cleaner and Protectant

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

pmlevine wrote:

Here is a photo of the rubber roof on my TT, discolored from weathering. It at least warrants cleaning - just hosing down is not an option. I'm still not sure if/what UV product to use afterwards.

[image]

That roof looks great and doesn't need a thing. LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

Larry

The roof in the picture is not rubber. EPDM Rubber does not have a texture as in the picture. My bet would be it is Alpha Systems Superflex or possibly a TPO, but the texture sure looks like Superflex. I don't believe you ever mentioned the brand or year of trailer but most Thor and Forest River brands, Grand Design, Winnebago towables etc. use Superflex, and have for quite a few years.

With Superflex you do not need any treatment and the recommended cleaner is dish detergent. You may need something a little stronger from letting it go that long. Do not use Dicor on Superflex roof unless you want to bubble/wrinkle up the membrane. Their is a difference. Look in your doc packet for the roof membrane paperwork, then you'll know what you have.

[image]

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do mine once year.
I clean it with liquid Spic and Span and then condition it with the Dicor roof protectant. I use a long handle sponge mop that I got at the dollar store which saves the back from bending over

303 is Good stuff and I use it on other things but much more expensive than 303

Guy

RollandB

Albany, Or

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

I didn’t use STP back in the day either.

Wow, I haven’t even thought of STP since that time. Also, back then we kidded about it really meaning Stop Teenage Pregnancy.

2005 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Long Box, Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, TST507's

2016 Artic Fox 27-5L

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STP was great stuff for certain uses.
My '97 5th wheel trailer with a 32' rubber roof has been washed three times with no protectant added. The roof looks like its 22 years old and still doing its job.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lwiddis

Bishop, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My roof is prettier than your roof, my roof....

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

pmlevine

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The roof in the picture is not rubber. EPDM Rubber does not have a texture as in the picture. My bet would be it is Alpha Systems Superflex or possibly a TPO, but the texture sure looks like Superflex. I don't believe you ever mentioned the brand or year of trailer but most Thor and Forest River brands, Grand Design, Winnebago towables etc. use Superflex, and have for quite a few years."
----------------------
I appreciate the feedback. My TT is a 2016 Winnebago Micro Minnie, I checked the owners manual, and it indicates the TT has a rubber roof, and just wash with a granulated household cleaner and water. Also to NOT use a UV protectant. But I am going to call Winnebago, give them the specific VIN number to confirm the roof material.

[image]

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

I do mine once year.

303 is Good stuff and I use it on other things but much more expensive than 303

Guy

Yes, 303 has gotten to be more expensive than 303.................I guess

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 02:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pmlevine wrote:

"The roof in the picture is not rubber. EPDM Rubber does not have a texture as in the picture. My bet would be it is Alpha Systems Superflex or possibly a TPO, but the texture sure looks like Superflex. I don't believe you ever mentioned the brand or year of trailer but most Thor and Forest River brands, Grand Design, Winnebago towables etc. use Superflex, and have for quite a few years."
----------------------
I appreciate the feedback. My TT is a 2016 Winnebago Micro Minnie, I checked the owners manual, and it indicates the TT has a rubber roof, and just wash with a granulated household cleaner and water. Also to NOT use a UV protectant. But I am going to call Winnebago, give them the specific VIN number to confirm the roof material.

[image]

The Winnebago brochure claims it is TPO, but that's the current brochure, the 2016 brochure tells you little if nothing at all and neither mean a heck of a lot. I certainly would not trust the owners manual or brochure, and might not even trust what some factory phone rep claims. These companies change materials on a whim hence the disclaimers plastered on brochures and websites.

They usually give you a warranty sheet from the roof membrane manufacturer in the docs packet, which will tell you who made it and what it is. Dicor markets TPO also. One thing is certain and that is in 30 years of construction and having RVs I have never seen EPDM that has the texture shown in your prior pictures. EPDM is almost smooth other than on some you can see a thread pattern of the reinforcement layer under the white wear layer. It does not have a pebbled pattern. I was on our roof last night which is Alpha Superflex and the embossed texture is not pebbled like your pictures. The Superflex texture looks like some old bitty's crepey looking biceps. Rubber is a generic term in the RV Industry.

[image]

* This post was last edited 05/14/19 04:22am by BillyBob Jim *   View edit history

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/19 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never trust the owner's manual to tell me what type of roof is on my trailer, at least, WRT a Jayco trailer and accompanying manual. Maybe a Winnebago manual is different.

My manual is so generic, it's nearly useless. I have to go to the individual info on different systems that's included in the owner's bag to find out what is actually built into the trailer, and what's needed for cleaning, etc.

I doubt even Winnebago puts out a manual for each and every model TT they make. And I doubt they change said manual whenever a component changes from trailer to trailer.

Case in point. My manual talks about how to by-pass the water heater when winterizing. According to the manual, to by-pass a water heater, one needs to turn two valves one way, and the third valve the other. That's fine, except, Jayco changed the by pass system on my particular model year trailer, to a two valve only by-pass system.

You really need to check the information packets included in the owner's information bag to know for sure what type of roof, or other components you have in your particular trailer.

pmlevine wrote:

----------------------

[image]

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

pmlevine

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the good feedback, it’s important to know what type of roof material is topside. Doesn’t look like I have any documentation other than the Winnebago TT o owner manual. I found a link on-line which might be helpful to determine what type of roof is on my TT.

click

* This post was edited 05/14/19 02:27pm by an administrator/moderator *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rubber Roof Cleaner and Protectant
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS