RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Rancho 9000's or Bilsteins?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rancho 9000's or Bilsteins?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 03:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The votes are overwhelmingly for Bilsteins. My Platinum Ford is not lifted so Im going to order the 4600's. Also considering some kind of steering stabilizer as I have had a couple of death wobbles. While it may not cure it all, I dont see how it could hurt. Towing the biggest thing yet and while it rides smooth, I would like to have the odds in my favor.

Thank You for your input. Happy Trails

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 Platinum, 6.2L 6 spd 3.73 gears, Reese 12klb w/dual cam, Prodigy, Sunny Brook Sunset Creek 298 BH, Trojan 125's, 448 watts Solar Morning Star 45, Honda EU3000, Dish TV, Xantrax Pure Sine 2000, Wilson Cellular Ant/Amp

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/19 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put Bilsteins on my Class C and drove it over 40,000 miles. They greatly improved the ride and handling. When My truck needs shocks, they will be Bilsteins.

Bob & Dawn Married 30 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crabby,
When I replaced the OEM shocks on my truck with Bilsteins I also replaced the steering stabilizer with a Bilstein. It made a big difference all around.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rancho 9000 adjustable for a working truck. Bilsteins just won't hold up in this type of daily work. Bilsteins are popular on rv websites though so take your pick.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

I had the adjustable Rancho's on my Super Duty and they lasted ~20k miles.

Please tell us what you replaced them with?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The factory Ford Rancho shocks. Having said that I'm going to install Bilsteins soon.

* This post was edited 05/17/19 05:38pm by an administrator/moderator *

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went from Ranchos 9000 to Bilstiens last year, never had a ride like this ever with and without the fifth wheel. No crawling under the truck again. Every time I get in the truck I smile it rides so much better and I’ve had it for 17 years.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I had the adjustable Rancho's on my Super Duty and they lasted ~20k miles.

Please tell us what you replaced them with?

The factory Ford Rancho shocks. Having said that I'm going to install Bilsteins soon.

Thanks for the honest reply!

But how can you justify a foreign owned American Made shock?

Willcamp4

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had two Super-Duty trucks. Both were F-250s, and the first was a 2000. Along with my current 2012 I looked at the same question. With both I installed Air Lift brand rear air bags, although I have also heard good things about Firestone. You can do a system that just uses the schrader valve to control the pressure in the system, but having an on-board compressor with the remote control is great. With the current system I am using the Wireless One remote controller, and it works great. Just a tip; if you have the upfitter switches you can consider wiring it to one of the switches so you can turn the system off while hitching/unhitching. I used #4.

About the shocks. I installed Rancho RS9000 shocks on both trucks. On my 2000 the first set lasted about 150K before they were shot. I installed another set on the truck that were still working great when I sold the truck at 220K miles. I also put a set on my 2012 last year and they were a big improvement over the so-called Ranchos that came with the truck. The factory shocks never were very good, so I don't know what model they really were; probably RS5000. The best advantage of the RS 9000 is the adjust-ability; you can change the adjustment for whatever your use is. I am very happy with them. I can't speak for Bilstein.

Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

slapshot12

FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crabbypatty wrote:

The votes are overwhelmingly for Bilsteins. My Platinum Ford is not lifted so Im going to order the 4600's. Also considering some kind of steering stabilizer as I have had a couple of death wobbles. While it may not cure it all, I dont see how it could hurt. Towing the biggest thing yet and while it rides smooth, I would like to have the odds in my favor.

Thank You for your input. Happy Trails

My truck is stock and the 5100’s work just fine. The ride height is the same and the ride is great. I also installed a Fox single steering stabilizer and that was a huge improvement also. Very easy install.

Word of warning...Anyone that has a ‘17+ Ford Super Duty and a B&W Turnover Ball hitch, the right rear shock is a major pain in the arse. The upper shock mount is about 1” from the hitch. I had to loosen the hitch, slide it to the driver’s side, and still barely got the shock in.

'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rancho 9000's or Bilsteins?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS