RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Glacier (west side) help....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier (west side) help....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/19 02:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glacier Campground

The KOA is nice, but pricey. Sure the kids would like it because there is a lot of things to do there..but do you really go to a place like Glacier to hang out at campground, unless it's in the park itself.

We couldn't stay at St Mary's because of a soft sided camper restriction, so the lady at Apgar told me about Two Medicines Campground....AWESOME campground.

The no reservations worked well for us, the park ranger told be to be there 6:30ish and just to start driving the park looking for signs that people are packing up. Had a lakeside campsite with about 15 minutes. We would go back to this campground again.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at North American RV Park which is just outside the west entrance. I made reservations, and even extended for a couple of days. This was in Sept. of 2016. It is a Passport America Park.

Addy15

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As many others have suggested, the West Glacier KOA is very nice. We had a great time there and would definitely go back.

As for hiking, there is a nice trail along Lake MacDonald in the Fish Creek area at the southwest end of the lake. We had a beautiful day there, just walking on the beach along the lake and not even on the trail. Not a lot of people there. Kind of a hidden treasure I guess you could say! :-) Avalanche Lake is probably a good hike for the kids. Highly recommend the hike to Hidden Lake from the Visitor Center at Logan Pass. BUT, get there very early in the morning or the parking will fill up. We arrived at 8:30 a.m. and the parking lot was already full. Either that, or wait until later in the afternoon when the crowds have thinned out. The Sun Point Nature Trail along St. Mary Lake to Baring Falls is also very nice.

sam22

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mountain meadows Rv park in Hungry Horse was recommended to me when I was looking for a spot on the west side so I booked in for a week in July.

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember that "early July" probably means the week of the 4th of July, the busiest week of the busiest month of the year. So line up really early if you hope to get a spot.

There aren't many very short hikes at Glacier. As noted, the hike to the Hidden Lake Overlook is 3 miles RT. From the St. Mary's Falls TH, the hike to Virginia Falls is just over a mile RT. From Logan Pass, you could hike along the Highline Trail for a mile or two for some amazing views then return to the pass. Since it will be busy, take a good look at the free hikers shuttle to get around and realize you may wait for a couple of buses to go by before there's room. But parking at the trailheads and especially the top just gets completely packed out during the day. Some days, the lot at the top is full by 8:00 a.m.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

HuckleberryHunter

Issaquah, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

duplicate post

* This post was edited 05/25/19 01:27pm by HuckleberryHunter *

2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

HuckleberryHunter

Issaquah, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree about showing up early at Apgar early and seeing what opens up. There is constant turnover and it's first come first serve.

My wife made reservations for us out at Emery Bay campground on Hungry Horse reservoir. We stayed there the first night and then I got up early the next morning to drive the TV into Apgar. I got a great spot, paid my fee, and set up a tent and a couple chairs to show occupation, then I drove back out to Emery Bay and we had a nice breakfast and played in the water before hooking up and driving back to West Glacier. We ate a couple nights of National Forest campground fees, but it was not very much. We really enjoyed staying at Apgar and swimming/kayaking in the lake.

I will say that while I was setting up the placeholder tent I had a few people drive by and ask if I was leaving. By the time I was done it seemed like most of those who had been right behind me also looking for a spot had found one or arranged with someone who was leaving later to take theirs. FWIW

As for hikes and transportation, we took the shuttle one day to hike the Avalanche Lake hike, that was a nice hike with an 8 and 11 yo. We caught an early shuttle as it fills up fast.

For Logan Pass, we made a day trip (driving) and made a quick stop on our way to to St. Mary's. Parking is difficult most of the day, but found a spot and made a quick visit to the visitor's center and explored the grounds before having lunch and continuing on to St. Mary's. On the way back that evening it was still light, but the parking lot was nearly empty. We stopped and saw people hiking the Hidden Lake viewpoint trail, so grabbed our packs and made a fast hike up to the viewpoint and back. That was an awesome decision as we saw both sheep and goats on that hike that were right off the trail, but had to hoof it back to the car as it was starting to get dark (we were not the only ones out there though).

We did a couple other hikes, but those were the more memorable ones.

* This post was edited 05/25/19 09:30am by HuckleberryHunter *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier (west side) help....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS