RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Broken/ leaking exhaust manifold bolts

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Broken/ leaking exhaust manifold bolts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
teddy360

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have recently been experiencing exhaust leaks from my exhaust manifold, and it looks like I have a couple broken bolts on the manifold itself, which is where I think the leak is coming from. I have an 8.1L engine in my home, but what I am wondering is if anyone has any good/ affordable solution to the issue? I'm not the most motor savvy, so I have reached out to other people on other cites for input too.. I've seen everything from welding them out, to replacing the whole works at a shop, to trying K.A.P bolt repair kits. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The easiet solution is probably using an Eazy-Out. First you drill a pilot hole in the broken bolt then put the Eazy-Out which is threaded left-handed, tap lightly with a hammer, then turn it with a wrench to remove the broken bolt.

Get yourself replacement hardware from ARP, which has the best product for strength.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

teddy360

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sounds like a good option too. I just don't want the bolts to continue to break since we put on a lot of miles every year. I thought the concept of the KAP bolt repair kit was interesting as well because it is like a clamp/ bracket that holds the manifold together, rather than an extraction and replace method. I haven't looked into it a ton yet, but that and your suggestion are probably my best bets for handling it myself. Thanks!

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's somewhat easy to do but get a mechanic if you don't know what you're doing.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That KAP bolt repair kit looks like the way to go. Trying to get into there and drill out the bolts to use an EZ-Out looks like a real nightmare. And I've seen quite a few broken EZ-Outs over the years, and they create a real mess.

Broken exhaust manifold bolts can be extremely stubborn to remove, and risk of breaking an EZ-Out is high. Not worth the hassle to me.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP suspects multiple broken bolts and would need a KAP kit for each bolt. Does it exist?

Is the exhaust gasket still intact? I'm doubtful since red hot gasses could destroy it given the broken bolts. The exhaust manifold might be warped or need to be replaced. Sometimes there are updated parts to correct problems so this should be checked.

Hopefully the KAP solution will solve the problem.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They do sell jigs that keep a drill straight for that application, but sorry I can't remember the name. Once you get them out, go with Banks headers if you can afford it, or Thorley headers are also good and not as expensive. If the manifold is warped greater than .01 inch no gasket will seal it. If your going to keep the rig, then headers are a good way to go.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just used a couple clamps on my half ton with a 5.3. Can't speak for how they'll hold up over time but my exhaust leak is fixed.

It seems like a halfass fix but it works and i don't need to take the head off.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X3 here on the easy out. If you go there once, that will be the first time and last on what to do next after the easy out snaps [emoticon]

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you have a good deal of experience, this is a job for a professional. An easy out may work but it will most likely take a lot of heat on that area to have any chance. Those bolt heads broke off for a reason. The bolts are rusted into the holes and you are very likely to break off the easy out. Once that happens and you now have a hardened chunk of steel in the middle of the soft bolt you need to get drilled out, the professional is going to cost even more.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Broken/ leaking exhaust manifold bolts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS