RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Broken/ leaking exhaust manifold bolts

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Broken/ leaking exhaust manifold bolts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teddy,

This repair is a sure way to end up in more trouble than you had before. If there is a KAP that will do the job, go that way, but its long term survival is doubtful.

We do not know anything about your rig and we don't need to for this. But, if you as an inexperienced person try to remove the failed fastener, I give you about a snowball's chance of making things better.

A big part of the problem is that with the engine in the rig, there is very limited room to work. People that do this every day have both experience and a bunch of learned cheap tricks that can make a big difference.

What ever happens, put everything back together with low grade fasteners (SAE gr 2) and slather it all with nickel base anti-sieze. That is because you will be taking it apart again and alloy fasteners do not like the temperature of exhaust things.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

It's somewhat easy to do but get a mechanic if you don't know what you're doing.

ABSOLUTELY !

I have been a "shade tree" mechanic for almost 50 years, and replacing an exhaust manifold and studs/bolts is something I would never attempt (except in my broke/stupid youth) !

If it means driving for a couple of more weeks while you save up the money, it will be worth it !!

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is the bolts that hold the manifold to the head, this a a common issue on the LS series. Not sure about the 8.1's....do they have aluminum heads?

The aluminum head LS's are pretty easy from what I hear. My friend has done a few. You just weld a nut to the broken bolt. The heat loosens it up and the nut lets you take it out. And you don't have to worry about welding the nut to the head accidentally because it's aluminum. He says they are no problem...I've never done one.

If it the the stud/bolt that connects the manifold to the rest of the exhaust, I would probably just replace the manifold. I don't think they are that expensive.

If you can install headers, you can do this. Might get the blood pressure up a bit your first time, but it's not rocket surgery. [emoticon]

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1996 GMC Suburban K1500 5.7 Vortec/4.56 Gears/PCM4Less Tune
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

X3 here on the easy out. If you go there once, that will be the first time and last on what to do next after the easy out snaps [emoticon]

Machinist friends ive known always say that the best thing to do with an easy-out kit it throw it in the trash.

tdiller

usa

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pushing 60 and in all those years I have never had an easy out work. I gave up on them after the first few tries left a broken easyout where the stuck bolt once was. Now I let me son the mechanic do the work.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZINGERLITE wrote:

Dave H M wrote:

X3 here on the easy out. If you go there once, that will be the first time and last on what to do next after the easy out snaps [emoticon]

Machinist friends ive known always say that the best thing to do with an easy-out kit it throw it in the trash.
Yes, if you don't know how to use one it's the best thing to do with it. OTOH if you do know how to use one, then they are very handy, and, dare I say, indispensable in some cases.

And there really is a technique to lessen the chances of braking an EZ-Out. Unfortunately, just techniques, no guarantees. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently had four bolts (out of six) snap on the lower unit from an outboard motor. They were a real PITA to drill out and re-tap. That is with the lower unit in a vice on my work bench. I can't imagine trying to do the same thing to an exhaust manifold bold in the confines of an engine compartment. Something goes wrong, and it goes from bad to worse - unable to drive the vehicle to a mechanic.

I am a avid DIY person. However, there are some things where the amount of frustration incurred will outweigh the DIY satisfaction. Exhaust manifold bolts, with the motor in the vehicle, are one of them.

+1 to spend the money with the mechanic.

HTH,
-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sign in a shop ...

"This 1 hour job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming an 8 hour job"

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

It's somewhat easy to do but get a mechanic if you don't know what you're doing.

ABSOLUTELY !

I have been a "shade tree" mechanic for almost 50 years, and replacing an exhaust manifold and studs/bolts is something I would never attempt (except in my broke/stupid youth) !

If it means driving for a couple of more weeks while you save up the money, it will be worth it !!

After reading your thread-starter post.......

X-2 on "ABSOLUTELY".

Pay "the freight" (the mechanic) - and save the grief (yours).

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exhaust systems and sewer systems are 2 things I won't mess with. Neither ever go well. Leave it to a professional.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Broken/ leaking exhaust manifold bolts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS