RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Building a Fifth Wheel

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Building a Fifth Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/13/19 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a couple of video's of the Coachman assembly plant and assembly processes.

Part 1

Part 2


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


ACZL

UPstate,NY

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/14/19 01:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man......LOTS & LOTS of wires !!!! Would be interesting to know exactly how much or feet of wire is used in a 5er.


2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/14/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

Man......LOTS & LOTS of wires !!!! Would be interesting to know exactly how much or feet of wire is used in a 5er.


Would be more interesting to know whey they can't come up with common wire harnesses and conduit/channels to run them through, instead of the spaghetti-thrown-against-the-wall mess most have. :-/ Seriously, 12v harness and 110v harness for rigs 20-25', 25-30', 30-35' and > 35'. Could easily be pre-made by a vendor; main conduit/channel down the centerline with wiring branching off.

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 02/28/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/14/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. The wiring isn't even done the same in two identical rigs when done by different people. Last year I tried to replace my factory Jensen radio and Speakers in my 5th wheel with much better equipment and it became such a nightmare that I gave up. I tried following the outdoor speaker wires back to the radio and it was impossible. There was such a spaghetti mess of wires before my pass through behind the steps I just stared at them. They were going every which way. 110v wires, 12v wires and radio/speaker wires all mixed together. They aren't even the same color coded wires at the speakers that they are at the radio head. I finally gave up.

philh

Belleville MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/11/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/14/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I work for an automotive OEM. typically, only a few wire harnesses are used to cover all the different potential options. Each wire harness is tested by the vendor to ensure the connectors and wires are good.you could probably cover each 5th wheel with 2 or 3 harnesses (or just 1), and break TT into short, medium, long. Yes, you'd give away some wire, but it would have to be a LOT cheaper than random build **** they do

amxpress

Clayton, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 04/14/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/14/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Would be more interesting to know whey they can't come up with common wire harnesses and conduit/channels to run them through, instead of the spaghetti-thrown-against-the-wall mess most have. :-/ Seriously, 12v harness and 110v harness for rigs 20-25', 25-30', 30-35' and > 35'. Could easily be pre-made by a vendor; main conduit/channel down the centerline with wiring branching off.

I suggested this while visiting the Sabre factory back in 2011. The plant manager told me wiring consumed the greatest man hours during assembly. I even offered to help design one as I’ve built harnesses in a former life. Obviously not interested in 21st Century production processes.


2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L is out of state, out of touch, and out of her mind


FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/14/19 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would love to layout an assembly plant, set up the suppliers and set up the in house processes to produce these. Also by applying Lean Manufacturing methods and reducing non value added operations, I can't help but think I could reduce the manufacturing costs, increase capacity, reduce cycle times and improve the quality.

js218

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/14/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/15/19 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rig took 6 months to built to my specifications, all wiring in conduit, all plumbing is 1/2" swagelok S.S.tubing and flex joints with full port ball valves insulated and heat traced. Six inches blue board in roof and floor, 3.5" in walls and slides. They can build it but you have to find a company willing to work with you.


2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

ACZL

UPstate,NY

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/15/19 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

js218 wrote:

My rig took 6 months to built to my specifications, all wiring in conduit, all plumbing is 1/2" swagelok S.S.tubing and flex joints with full port ball valves insulated and heat traced. Six inches blue board in roof and floor, 3.5" in walls and slides. They can build it but you have to find a company willing to work with you.


And a very large piggybank as it sounds like a nice rig and large rig to tow it (like a class 8 truck).

BillyBob Jim

US

Senior Member

Joined: 04/24/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/15/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

js218 wrote:

My rig took 6 months to built to my specifications, all wiring in conduit, all plumbing is 1/2" swagelok S.S.tubing and flex joints with full port ball valves insulated and heat traced. Six inches blue board in roof and floor, 3.5" in walls and slides. They can build it but you have to find a company willing to work with you.


And a very large piggybank as it sounds like a nice rig and large rig to tow it (like a class 8 truck).


He might not need the large tow rig for a Super C but good for him and his piggybank. A 45' Haulmark is a long ways away from a $35K Coachmen 5th wheel slapped together by some Amish pieceworkers.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Building a Fifth Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS