|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First time TT trip AZ to VA

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
LizBee

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is all great information. We are pretty careful types, so we'll check all the usual stuff. My husband grew up in that area, so he knows the effects of the AZ weather on vehicles. We'll try to balance reasonable preparation with play it as you go in terms of supplies. We aren't delicate or divas, and can do without! We're mainly looking forward to the journey.

Any tips about actual travel? Etiquette we may not know about? I saw a trip planner on the KOA website that laid out their sites all along the way so we could sort of plan where we might stop - are KOA's ok? I've never used one before.

Lwiddis

Crestview area, Inyo County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some KOAs are fine, others not. Don’t be afraid to dry camp at a local, state or federal park/forest.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You basically have I-40 to come back on. You surely have some kind of time frame to hold to I assume so the meandering of the back roads especially through AZ and NM would be, lets say difficult. The issue of possible mechanical problems might make you stay closer to the interstate and larger towns in case help is needed. Tires will be the weak link. Are you ready to spring for new ones to get home on? If those tires have been baked in the AZ sun and are old to boot be prepared to put new ones on. Setting up and breaking down is not that complicated but don't forget the things like the TV antenna, don't leave it raised up when you depart the campground. Stow things well to keep them from moving around in the trailer when on the road.

Should you have questions at a campground there are plenty of helpful fellow campers that would gladly help you. Don't be shy, campers are a friendly lot. Google Maps and Trip Advisor are very helpful to find things to do along the way. Do get off the interstate when you can and have fun. There is quite a lot to see that isn't that far off the interstate.

RVPARKY app for your phone is great for locating campgrounds along your route. I would not worry about reservations. We start calling about 2pm with a good estimate of where we want to stop at around 4pm. We call the campground and check if they have a site for one night and then we will have them hold it for us. We have never been shut out with no place to stay.

Good luck and have a great time.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KOA just so you know is on the pricy side of CG . BE SAFE ENJOY THE TRIP.

Gulfcoast

Southeast

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old trailer tires? I'd get new tires before that long trip.

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't emphasize enough the other posters advice on getting new trailer tires. Unless the current tires have been put on new within the last couple of years, you need to replace them before leaving Tucson.

And even if they are new within the last couple of years, you still need to examine them closely to make sure they haven't developed cracks in the tread or sidewall.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

LizBee

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

Can't emphasize enough the other posters advice on getting new trailer tires. Unless the current tires have been put on new within the last couple of years, you need to replace them before leaving Tucson.

And even if they are new within the last couple of years, you still need to examine them closely to make sure they haven't developed cracks in the tread or sidewall.

Thanks Atlee, the tires are the main thing we're concerned about. I'm told they are "new" within the past year, but we don't believe it until we see it. We will have the ability to purchase tires, so that won't be a barrier.

I'm in Glen Allen, so you're not to far from us!

LizBee

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

Thanks Atlee, the tires are the main thing we're concerned about. I'm told they are "new" within the past year, but we don't believe it until we see it. We will have the ability to purchase tires, so that won't be a barrier.

LizBee

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

LizBee

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First time TT trip AZ to VA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS