|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Dawson City > Chicken > Tok AK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny reading the comments about different drivers perspectives on road conditions.

I did Top of the World in October, 2005 in a truck camper. Going to do it again this October in an 2 year old coach. By the time I get done spending September in Alaska, the rig will be a mess anyway. I'll probably clean it up after I get back to the states. It'll be really messed up by then. Can't wait - will be my 1st time back to Alaska since 2005.

This was a ice cloud on the ToW road approaching the border.

[image]

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

AKsilvereagle

North Pole, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After July 2010, portions of the Taylor Highway have been much improved since the major washouts happened in that timeframe along the most rugged stretch between mile 66 (Chicken) and mile 96 (Jack Wade Junction).

Starting in August 2014, the 13 mile route of Boundary Spur Road (Mile 96 Taylor Hwy. to the International Border) has been completely paved and is real nice and smooth !

Do take your time and drive with care thru the unpaved and rugged parts of the route and you will be fine - this is NOT a route to be driving fast or pushing it trying to make time on in a large or heavy haulin' vehicle as not only potentially dangering yourself but others as well, especially on rainy days where the road surface will be washboarded quick !

1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (168K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

AKsilvereagle

North Pole, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cross21114 wrote:

Funny reading the comments about different drivers perspectives on road conditions.

I did Top of the World in October, 2005 in a truck camper. Going to do it again this October in an 2 year old coach. By the time I get done spending September in Alaska, the rig will be a mess anyway. I'll probably clean it up after I get back to the states. It'll be really messed up by then. Can't wait - will be my 1st time back to Alaska since 2005.

This was a ice cloud on the ToW road approaching the border.

Just for reference for those who plan to drive the Top of the World Hwy. or the Taylor Hwy. route during October :

For those planning to cross the International Border in either direction that late in the season, there is a current trend that travellers might be out of luck in doing so as CBP and CBSA Poker Creek Station had recently decided to close the border crossing earlier than usual.....

In 2017, the border closure was effective on September 25th.

In 2018, the border closure was effective on September 23rd.

They were posted scheduled closures not due to any typical bad weather or road related conditions either as in the past when it was a more random decision upon when to close the border for the season, so keep that in mind.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/19 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Soren's post is one of the best I have ever read on travel. To really enjoy travel, you MUST be in tune with the reality of where you are.

Alaska to my wife and me was just another ho hum day in paradise, we didn't go there or any other place we've been in the world in order to find someplace just like home. We have gone to see another wonder of the world.

As far as our rigs, it's like life, the object is not to buy an RV use it and then sell it in showroom condition, don't abuse it but wear it out. Our rigs have been and are nothing more than a means to see as much of our part of the world as possible.

To us, the TOW was hour after hour of wonders and in order to see them you have to slow down. We bought a window sticker that said, "The Alaska Highway, 1400 miles of untamed wilderness". It beats the devil out of 1400 miles of interstate highway.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AKsilvereagle wrote:

cross21114 wrote:

Just for reference for those who plan to drive the Top of the World Hwy. or the Taylor Hwy. route during October :

For those planning to cross the International Border in either direction that late in the season, there is a current trend that travellers might be out of luck in doing so as CBP and CBSA Poker Creek Station had recently decided to close the border crossing earlier than usual.....

In 2017, the border closure was effective on September 25th.

In 2018, the border closure was effective on September 23rd.

They were posted scheduled closures not due to any typical bad weather or road related conditions either as in the past when it was a more random decision upon when to close the border for the season, so keep that in mind.

Thanks for this. I had actually looked at this and thought I had found comments about it closing later than your report. Will do some more research. I think I could get through OK if it closes Oct 3rd. Hope so because I would really like to drive the Robert Campbell again.

nrbsr

Upstate NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 12:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys were right. Weather wasn't an issue so we didn't hesitate and took the TOW from Dawson city (yes we did do Diamond tooth Gerties). I loved it (TOW). The wife says that if I do that again my clothes will be on the front porch when I get home. I think that means she won't go with me on the Dempster highway!
It rained a bit in the morning which helped keep the dust down. Scenery was gorgeous though you can't wander your eyes too much while driving and the wife was afraid to look out the window. We stayed at a govt Campsite that night and went into Chicken in the morning. Unfortunately Chicken was packed with people and vehicles for "Chicken stock" so we didn't get a chance to check it out. Quick bite and back on the road to Tok.

I met 2 of the people Soren mentioned at Chicken. The first said the road from Tok was fine. The second guy said the roads were terrible, construction wasted a lot of time and he was going to turn around and go back to Tok rather than continue.
From my perspective, having prepared for the worse, I found the roads to be much better than I expected. I've been traveling almost 2 months and I estimate that I've only spent about 1 1/2 to 2 hours waiting for pilot cars. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well the roads have been on our travels.
I highly recommend that if you visit Alaska you should do the TOW. There are only 2 kinds of visitors to Alaska. Those that have done the TOW, and those that should have.
On a side note, my daughters plans to join us in Anchorage didn't work out with her work schedule So we didn't have to adjust our travel plans.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Dawson City > Chicken > Tok AK
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS