|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Keyless locks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

what happens when, not if, the keyless entry fails? the ONLY way I'd ever have them is if the door also had a traditional lock and key to use in case of failure or in place of the keyless entry.

I think all of the systems have a manual option in case of failure. That said, one of the downsides I've considered in these is that you would always need a key accessible somewhere - just in case. You wouldn't want to have a battery fail while you were out and then be unable to access the camper without a locksmith.

If we were to ever get one, I'd probably use it in the same way I use our garage door opener. Our kids can get in and out with the code, and I use the opener for 99% of my access. Still, I never leave the house without a key - because a power failure while I'm out would leave the house inaccessible. Somehow, I'd have a key to the trailer accessible at all times.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

what happens when, not if, the keyless entry fails? the ONLY way I'd ever have them is if the door also had a traditional lock and key to use in case of failure or in place of the keyless entry.

I think all of the systems have a manual option in case of failure. That said, one of the downsides I've considered in these is that you would always need a key accessible somewhere - just in case. You wouldn't want to have a battery fail while you were out and then be unable to access the camper without a locksmith.

If we were to ever get one, I'd probably use it in the same way I use our garage door opener. Our kids can get in and out with the code, and I use the opener for 99% of my access. Still, I never leave the house without a key - because a power failure while I'm out would leave the house inaccessible. Somehow, I'd have a key to the trailer accessible at all times.

they used to call me ‘Murphy’ at work cuz I was always insisting we have a Plan B and depending on the issue, a Plan C. my buddy has a sedan with keyless entry and keyless start. his Plan B is to have it towed to the dealer. i have spare entry and door keys locked in a small safe accessible 24/7 should the need arise. our MH also has two doors in case the main door becomes unusable.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Remember...if you don’t know where you’re going you're bound to end up somewhere else.
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny you posted this... just installed one tonight from RV Lock.

Coupon code for 10% off RVLTHX

Installation was super duper easy. HINT, write down the key code BEFORE you install the lock! Had it installed, had to take it off to read the key code. Bought an extra remote, probably don't need it.

Haven't even used it, and already a fan!

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just installed the V4 from RVLock.com. Easy install and I got a promo discount so the price was $190

RollandB

Albany, Or

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had the RV Lock keyless for about 3 years. Simple install, can be opened with the keypad, fob remote and old fashioned key. Like a Ford Truck Guy, imreplacemthe batteries at the beginning of camping season. No problems with anything.

2005 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Long Box, Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, TST507's

2016 Artic Fox 27-5L

rbp111

Citrus Heights, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. I am thinking about putting one in. The thing that holds me back is the videos that show the install. In one, they had to file the opening around the deadbolt. The other video showed the "gap" between the door and the lock. He had to fill in caulking.
The other thing is, I have a screen door that has a handle allowing me to open up the main door. Will the opener fit the lock?

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbp111 wrote:

Thanks. I am thinking about putting one in. The thing that holds me back is the videos that show the install. In one, they had to file the opening around the deadbolt. The other video showed the "gap" between the door and the lock. He had to fill in caulking.
The other thing is, I have a screen door that has a handle allowing me to open up the main door. Will the opener fit the lock?

Mine was a drop in replacement. No filing, no adjustment, perfect fit. they advertise a 10 minute job, it might have taken me 11 minutes before I had to take it back apart to record the key code, hidden between the inner and out door pieces, so maybe 15 minutes total.
10% off coupon code, RVLTHX

I bought two remotes, hard to understand at this point why I need two, and probably should have just saved the money.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I looked at these several years ago, none of the better ones would fit with my screen door/door slide. I would have needed to replace the clear plastic on the door and after some searching a while for something that would work and striking out, I quit on the entire project.

So making sure your screen door is compatible (or be willing to replace some or all of it) is important.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine works fine with the screen door.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

GHop

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had this lock in our fifth wheel for over two years now and had no problems at all. This was an easy install. I installed our lock for convenience and to have a different locking system from other RV's

G.H.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Keyless locks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS