RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Very slow propane leak: how to find it?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Very slow propane leak: how to find it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Curly2001

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The regulators made today are junk. Mine was two years old and failed. I would guess that is the first place to look then run down all the lines and fittings. Also check the hoses to the bottles from the regulator. Some of them will leak due to the severe bends in them so check the pressed on fittings.
Good luck,
Curly

2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harvey51 wrote:

When I couldn’t detect a leak with soapy water spray on our old popup tent trailer I tried the very sensitive flame test using a propane torch. It clearly showed the regulator leaking.

LOL.....the old school method. Hopefully your post does not start the safety, plumbing code, and legality ramifications debate about checking a gas line with an open flame.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not going to use a flame. If the source of the leak is too diffuse to create bubbles with a specially-formulated solution, it's probably too diffuse to catch fire.

And if it does catch fire, that's not so fun, either!

By the way, my old regulator was two years old. I am going to install the new one today, as soon as it stops raining. (Rain in Southern Calif in May?? Yep.)

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Harvey51 wrote:

When I couldn’t detect a leak with soapy water spray on our old popup tent trailer I tried the very sensitive flame test using a propane torch. It clearly showed the regulator leaking.

LOL.....the old school method. Hopefully your post does not start the safety, plumbing code, and legality ramifications debate about checking a gas line with an open flame.

Old School method?????? I have over 40 years and am Licensed to service LP systems for that 40 years. In the past 40 years there has NEVER been a Flame test. Flame test is one way to win a Darwin award. You will get the medal in the Burn Ward. I am constantly amazed at the DUMB hazardly postings on these forums. Doug

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Harvey51 wrote:

Old School method?????? I have over 40 years and am Licensed to service LP systems for that 40 years. In the past 40 years there has NEVER been a Flame test. Flame test is one way to win a Darwin award. You will get the medal in the Burn Ward. I am constantly amazed at the DUMB hazardly postings on these forums. Doug

BAZINGA!!!!!!!

And there it is LOL, further proof of a theory of mine that this forum is seriously lacking in the SENSE of humor department. Lighten up Doug, you're evidently a legend in your own mind.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Harvey51 wrote:

BAZINGA!!!!!!!

And there it is LOL, further proof of a theory of mine that this forum is seriously lacking in the SENSE of humor department. Lighten up Doug, you're evidently a legend in your own mind.

No, Just a LOT smarter than you. Doug

PS, SOME people are just plain stupid and posts like mine help keep them safe. You would rather just watch and then brag about how you were there but did nothing but laugh.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, chalk one up to my gullibility! I thought the person who said to use the flame test was being serious, and I fell for it.

Is this why they call a disagreement on a forum a "flame war?"

Anyways, we are all in agreement that flame is not a good idea. And, we're back on topic!

Jetstreamer

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 11:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can’t believe that the flammable gas detector wand couldn’t find the problem for you... was it properly calibrated before use? I bought a relatively inexpensive one to trace some leaks and I couldn’t believe how sensitive it was. It sniffed out a couple of incredibly small leaks right away. Ones where I would have never smelled any gas.

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 03:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

BillyBob Jim wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Harvey51 wrote:

BAZINGA!!!!!!!

No, Just a LOT smarter than you. Doug

PS, SOME people are just plain stupid and posts like mine help keep them safe. You would rather just watch and then brag about how you were there but did nothing but laugh.

Don't forget your meds today, as evidently happened yesterday.

Now that you have called me stupid twice I sure wish I would have forgone the 8 years of secondary education and went turning wrenches at an RV dealership, so you do have me in that LOT smarter regard I suppose. I would of liked to have done that for 40 years as opposed to where I ended up, being retired at 52.

* This post was edited 05/20/19 04:28am by BillyBob Jim *

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread seems to be going nowhere but downhill. I have some suggestions regarding the original problem with a substantial leak that has not been detected with soap or an inexpensive propane detector.

I would start with the most likely sources for a leak. Begin with the tank. I have even had a new tank that leaked. I would turn on the propane, then turn it off. If your regulator has the typical red/green markings, checking for a system leak should be easy. Pressure should be maintained for at least several hours. If the pressure remains, then the issue is the tank. If not the next area I would check is the pigtails. I have had to replace mine every few years. Hoses start to dry out and crack. Next check the regulator, then every visible propane line and fitting on the exterior of the RV. Next look at the water heater and furnace.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Very slow propane leak: how to find it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.