|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> realistic power usage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

never mind I started a new thread for solar talk.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not fully recharging deep cycle batteries every day isn’t good for them and even in shade a properly sized solar system will produce power.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby,

What size (wattage and voltage) is the panel?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

owenssailor

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Jebby14 wrote:

Hi all. This weekend is the first trip with our new to us camper. Last was used primarily as a tent on wheels when we had no hydro.

To clarify for those who do not speak "Canadian", "hydro" means AC power ! The vast majority of the population of Canada get their power from Niagara Falls, hence "hydro". Most of the folks in Western Canada still use the term, but they are NOT getting their power from Niagara Falls !

I'd like to clarify a bit. Canada is a big country. The term hydro meaning electricity started in Ontario when the Hydro Electric Commission of Ontario first started providing electricity to the province . Most was from hydro-electric plants with the ones at Niagara being the largest.

Today 60% of the electricity for Ontario is from Nuclear generating stations. We have no coal or oil fired plants left. Niagara still matters but it is not the major generator by any means.

The rest of the country uses varying means. Quebec - water powered. The prairies still on oil and coal. And so on.

2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How'd the trip go was the one battery enough?

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

owenssailor wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Jebby14 wrote:

Hi all. This weekend is the first trip with our new to us camper. Last was used primarily as a tent on wheels when we had no hydro.

To clarify for those who do not speak "Canadian", "hydro" means AC power ! The vast majority of the population of Canada get their power from Niagara Falls, hence "hydro". Most of the folks in Western Canada still use the term, but they are NOT getting their power from Niagara Falls !

I'd like to clarify a bit. Canada is a big country. The term hydro meaning electricity started in Ontario when the Hydro Electric Commission of Ontario first started providing electricity to the province . Most was from hydro-electric plants with the ones at Niagara being the largest.

Today 60% of the electricity for Ontario is from Nuclear generating stations. We have no coal or oil fired plants left. Niagara still matters but it is not the major generator by any means.

The rest of the country uses varying means. Quebec - water powered. The prairies still on oil and coal. And so on.

BC gets the bulk of it's power from Hydro, but not Niagra Falls [emoticon]

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have answers............from my experience. My old trailer had 2-12v batteries from Costco, called deep cycle....... Arrive Saturday afternoon, real careful with lighting and water pump only. No generation, no solar. By Wednesday night I would be plugging the trailer into the car and charge for an our at a time to try and get the battery up enough to get through the night. So much better now-a-days with my solar and 6v in series.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Denali, stock....for now. 2015 Creekside 20fq w/300 watts solar. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 02:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

Opps forgot lights are LED. Have no intention of running the battery dead just thinking of hypotheticals and trying to wrap my head around everything. would assume the water pump is drawing the most right?
When boondocking , your water pump will be your lowest power draw.... You only have so much water... When it is gone, the pump draw stops. Other items, even a single light left on can use more total power on a boondocking trip.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 03:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we made out ok. didn't use much in the camper shy of the controller for the fridge. we opted to shut down the fridge and use the coolers the final day and put some charge to the battery off the truck the last day. all in all a smooth maiden voyage. excited to get out again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> realistic power usage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS