|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> CURT Q20 Slop and Noise

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
jjinatx

Austin, TX, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

I'm a fairly new fiver hauler. I have a CURT Q20 and R20 slider combo on my F350 that was installed as part of the deal on the new truck. I've towed a 11,000# Grand Design about 7,000 miles total between many campsites. I religiously maintain the hitch, greasing according to the manual and etrailer's youtube video. I use the teflon plate that came with the hitch. Just about every time I hook up, I spray the jaws and the pin with heavy duty silicon.

I noticed that after stopping, like for a traffic light, when I take off again there is a jolt like the pin has come forward a bit during the stop and is moving back against the jaws on acceleration. Is this normal? Or do I have something to worry about?

Also the hitch is pretty noisy when maneuvering. Lots of clunking. I noticed there is some play between the R20 base and the ISR rails. I can jiggle it slightly up and down. Also, there is some play between the R20 wheels and its base. Again, I can jiggle it up and down a bit. I assume that's the source of the clunking.

When I took delivery of the truck, with hitch installed, there was a plastic bag containing the teflon pad and 2 rubber pads shaped like rectangular donuts. I assume these are pads to go between the ISR and the R20. I also assumed these are just a couple of spares, but maybe they didn't put any pads on the ISR, or just installed 2 of them.

I don't know if I can check without lifting the whole hitch off the ISR with my front end loader. If I go to all that trouble, I may just lift it out completely and swap in a Blue Ox Super Ride and put the CURT on craigslist.

Any advice sincerely appreciated. We're leaving on a jaunt to Alaska soon and want to make sure I won't have any issues on the trip.

-jj

Current Rig: 2017 F350 Crew Cab Short Bed 4X4 Powerstroke, 2018 Grand Design Reflection 29RS. Dearly Departed: 2003 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually, 2002 Bigfoot 25C10.6.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same hitch, Curt Q20. I've had it on a bolted down ISR frame, B&W turnover ball, and Ram factory puck system. It did the same thing as yours. I put a 5th Airborne pin box on the 5th and that dampened the up and down slop.
I needed a lighter hitch after buying a cabover. I bought a PullRite SuperLite and stopped all that.
I think all the clearances in the Curt, and probably most conventional hitches, have what is called "clearance stack up". Given certain circumstances, all the clearances in the hitch system add up to produce those unwanted results.
PullRite SuperLite or Andersen will help a lot. I went with the SuperLight mostly because it was $100 less than Andersen. But it is also steel vs. the Andersen aluminum, if that makes a difference to you.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to have a Curt hitch and it was clanky and noisy enough that I got rid of it. Switched to a rail mount Andersen Ultimate and it's totally smooth and quiet. It weighs less than 40 lbs so it's super easy to install or remove.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its been stated many times about the Curt having slack in them, and I would definitely change it out before a trip to Alaska.

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Q16 sold (was on my Ford) for same reason....B&W tight and sold...world of difference.

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2015 Wildcat 317RL, MoRryde rubber pin box, Titan Disc Brakes, Trojan T105
B&W Ram Companion

Yamaha EF2600c tri-fuel generator
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500w

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My B&W Companion is solid, with no clunking on starting or stopping. Check out the B&W Patriot slider.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

topjimmy

Washington Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not saying it is not your hitch but you have a GD Reflection and I do believe they do not have a Mor-ryde pin box or Roto-flex like your big brother Solitude these pin boxes make a huge difference in chucking etc..

2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2004 3500 GMC Short Bed, LB7 Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

topjimmy wrote:

Not saying it is not your hitch but you have a GD Reflection and I do believe they do not have a Mor-ryde pin box or Roto-flex like your big brother Solitude these pin boxes make a huge difference in chucking etc..

Chucking vs. the slop he is talking about is two different things...I've had both...so I really know the difference [emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simply look at the Chinese Made CURT side by side with the US Made B&W.

B&W is rock solid, easy to hitch and unhitch, simple solid no question if your hitched.....OH yea it does not fold either.

CURT is known to cause chucking with the heads pivot point several inches below the kingpin connection. B&W's pivot is right at the kingpin height.

[image]
[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had start/stop clanking with my ISR mounted hitch. I remedied the situation by using Curt 16900 sound deadening pads. Four bucks for a set of four on Amazon. I took out the front pins and pried the hitch up enough to mount the pads. Repeated the process for the rears. Really easy.

If you do get the Blue Ox Super Ride, send back a review on the hitch to this forum. I've only read one and it was very positive. I'm surprised the hitch doesn't get more play with all the positive features it has.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> CURT Q20 Slop and Noise
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS