RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: They don't make em like they used to.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> They don't make em like they used to.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
frizfreleng

Aleutians West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Returning to RVing after maybe 13 years. On this and other forums read much about Rvs being made with less quality (cheaply) than in the past. So here is my limited anecdotal evidence in support of that contention. I have a 2004 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. So after 15 years of service the the dead bolt on the door lock quit. Purchased a new one. Indistinguishable from the original. Heavy, all metal construction. When bolting the inner and outer halves together the 4 screws were about 1/4" short of mating the two halves. I had the 4 bolts from the original lock so I used them. Called the vendor to let him know. He replied, "no those are the standard length bolts that fit the thickness of today's doors". So, I concluded that today's doors are thinner hence less cost to manufacture. Unfortunately, unit sale price has not followed door cost. So, what say you Dr. Watson?

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/19 01:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having a 1996 Vogue( a fairly decent made MH in its day), you are right on the money. The construction, the fit and finish, the use of quality components are not even close to being equal in todays market. While having multiple slides and every electronic gadget one can imagine is Great, I'll take well built before anything else. IMHO

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After thinking about it my first trailer a 96 Seahawk was built very well, my 03 Streamlite was not even though built by the same company. Through the years they have found ways of cutting cost and the price of entry level trailers has not risen much compared to vehicles.

The biggest absence is the disappearance of premium manufacturers like Travel Supreme, Holliday Rambler, Excel, NuWa, Forks RV, Newmar trailers and fifth wheels, DRV and a few others.

Small manufacturers cannot compete with the buying power of the big companies such as Forest River and Thor. Look at all the companies that use to be independent that have been purchased by these two conglomerates.

The price of high end trailers has risen to a point the average family cannot afford one. I was looking on the New Horizon RV Web site and a top of the line show model was $254,000. Look at Newell coaches prices most start over a million dollars.

jdb7566

minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing is made today like they used to.

* This post was edited 05/19/19 04:53pm by an administrator/moderator *

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not only the prices of the RV it's the taxes. Growing up in KS had a 3 percent sales tax, now it's 9 percent. Personal property tax, paid each year along with tag fees have risen as well. In KS maximum devaluation occurs after 10 years, does not get any cheaper after that. By keeping my vehicles and RV'S maintained I save a lot of money on taxes and insurance.

More money for fuel and travel.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

They don't make em like they used to.

Having owned three truck campers and three 5th wheel trailers from the '60s up to the '97 era I'm sure glad.
Same with our LDTs.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/19 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 04 Komfort was nearly flawless. The only issue I had was a recurring minor leak on the inlet line fore the toilet. The inlet tube was just a hair short and it would loosen up and drip. I semi-seriously considered building a new rig built on the heavy Zieman frame... ;-)

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/19 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My trailer is 11 years old. I plan to use it for another ten years and pull it with my currently 15 year old truck. Both units are nicely maintained and are young at heart. If quality continues to degrade, maybe my old gear will start to increase in value.

94-D2

Sutter Creek ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/19 11:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tossing a cat into the dog pound I would mostly agree that the campers are not built as well as the old days. While the doors and walls may be thicker in past years, I would suggest that perhaps the materials became much more efficient and in any cases stronger. Metal vs wood construction, fiber glass and composite vs Masonite or corrugated aluminum skin, foam insulation vs cellulose or fiber batting. Now, quality of the installation and mfg methods, certainly craftsmanship of the past outlasts what is done today with the “run of the mill” rig.

2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campers have been mostly junk for a long time.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> They don't make em like they used to.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS