RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Drinking Campground Water...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Drinking Campground Water...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Lots of contaminants can be absorbed through the skin. If the water is not safe to drink, I am not sure I would feel safe using it for bathing. Also consider that the shower will generator lots of aerosols that could contain contaminants such as mold, bacteria, viruses, heavy metals and organics such as pesticides and other petrochemicals. Do you really want to breath those contaminants while you shower?

I guess taking a dip in the ocean, or lakes and rivers is totally out of the question? And going to places like Niagara Falls in your formaldehyde spewing RV may not be a good idea either with all that toxic mist in the air? [emoticon]

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume by "campground water" we are talking about well water and not municipal water. since city water would be no different in a campground or a hotel or your house…
The Health Inspector will be testing their water so it should meet minimum standards, unless it is a state park and the inspector has no authority there..
I'd say if you want to argue or disagree with the effectiveness and purpose of filtering water or drinking pure non-contaminated water, then seek out a forum more specific to health issues. It seems people here filter their water as it is common sense to know that most water is not pure quality. It will not kill you, but for good health drinking good water is smart.
For coffee people will be even more particular. Bad water makes bad coffee. Then there are others who drink Sanka, so go figure…

BillyBod, you are correct. Lakes and pools are the dirtiest water sources we have, the oceans a bit cleaner depending where you are. The middle of the great lakes is typically clean, too far out for contaminates to reach. I have a river behind where I live that I would not put my finger in. But, if you are not into staying fit and healthy, then just let your eyes glaze over a little bit while reading the forum post warning you. There are worse things. Wait til 5G gets put up on the pole at your street….

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would rather drink untreated well water than chlorinated water any time.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Omfg. As if this couldn’t get any more fickle.
Aerosol contaminants coming out of the campground water you’re showering with?
Gotta ask. Do you even camp bro? Lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't there also a big difference between consuming/showering with "bad" water for a few days in a campground versus years in your house? Few things, no matter how bad, are going to harm you in limited quantities.

For me, water quality refers to the taste and little more. Our camper has a filtered water tap we use for drinking water but I fill the tank with whatever is around.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is TASTE.

And then there is POTABILITY.

Most water out there is potable. How it tastes will differ and some folks will hate the differences and some won't notice.

If taste matters, keep a supply of "tasty" water in your RV for those places that have "icky tasting" water. If a place has "tasty" water, then drink it.

Don't worry about the rest.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I must be extremely lucky. I've swam and likely ingested water from PFAS contaminated lakes and rivers all over Michigan for decades and spent a lot of time in public pools as a youth.

Contaminates in water being absorbed through the skin? Come on, that's hypochondriac level stuff there. Only if already sick / immune-compromised does extra protection make any sense.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Omfg. As if this couldn’t get any more fickle.
Aerosol contaminants coming out of the campground water you’re showering with?
Gotta ask. Do you even camp bro? Lol

x2

shh don't tell them about all the "chemicals" used in the production of the RV they're living in every day.

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

Contaminates in water being absorbed through the skin? Come on, that's hypochondriac level stuff there.

Just think of what you're absorbing with soaps, body wash, shampoo etc. Did you ever see the list of what is in that stuff? Your farts should smell like Irish Spring or Lavender Rosemary after you take a shower.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hasn't killed me yet

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Drinking Campground Water...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS