RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Drinking Campground Water...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Drinking Campground Water...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

I am thinking of an RO system but don't like the waste involved.

If you plumb the RO waste water (aka brine) so that it flows back into your water holding tank, then there's zero wasted water.

I've used this method for several years as it was recommended by the RV Water Filter Store (called the 'Boondocker Option').

that might be feasible for a small system, i.e. feeding the separate drinking water faucet , but not for a full house system.
bumpy

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always had a built in water filter and used an inline filter out of the spigot with that. On my last trailer I also installed a drinking water faucet with a filter. So most times I was drinking water filtered 3 times! And my first trailer only had the inline filter. But I’ve yet to find water that was terrible!

The best water I ever had was when we were in Yellowstone and in the mountains of CO. Don’t know if it makes sense, but it tasted like real water! LOL

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How did our society become so fastidious that "campground water" is not suitable for drinking? It is some of the best water in the mountains.

My Dad used to have a ranch in Arizona. Work with people that cowboy for a living, and you learn to drink out of stock tanks and cattle tracks.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

We are supposed to be putting those plastic water bottles in the recycle bin not the regular trash. I wish campgrounds would be a bit more proactive in the recycling area really. Most CG's have small and inadequate bins for recycling materials. I know too that most campers are not that diligent in separating their trash while camping. Too much trouble? Not for me. Recycle when you can.
Two big problems with campground recycling. One, some of your fellow campers feel free to use recycling bins for common garbage. A paper plate heaped with chickenu bones and rancid potato salad doesn't go in the recycle bin. To satisfy the recycling lords were have to sort that crud. Second, many rural areas cannot recycle. Where we are located, glass must go to the landfill, there are no recycling facilities within 200+ miles making hauling economically and environmentally prohibitive. Plastic recycling in our area cost too much for the local trash authorities to provide. Currently, only cardboard, clean paper and aluminum cans (not tin or steel) are accepted by the trash providers. It is not as simple as just putting out a bin.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

How did our society become so fastidious that "campground water" is not suitable for drinking? It is some of the best water in the mountains.

My Dad used to have a ranch in Arizona. Work with people that cowboy for a living, and you learn to drink out of stock tanks and cattle tracks.

On this, we agree. Take away the internet and then no-one would know how bad the water surely must be that they haven't drank yet!
Although I'd have to be pretty d@mn thirsty to drink out of cattle track puddles or a stock tank. Now the well feeding the stock tank, different story.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

But I’ve yet to find water that was terrible!

The best water I

check out Iowa City, IA., in the spring or Tyler MN anytime.
bumpy

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you worried about the taste or the pollutants in the water?
Any carbon filter will give you sweet tasting water.
Don't drink any municipal water if you want the best health. Your dogs health (other than stomach issues) is not a big deal since they do not live long enough to matter, and if you are nearing the finish line then the intake of water pollutants become less and less of an issue. The pollutants are bad over very long terms (decades usually).
Whole house filters will not filter the pollutants out, though anything is better than nothing. You need a fine micron filter to do that.
Typically the slow drip gravity filters will do the best job, nothing in-line with your tap will filter good enough.
There are filters you can carry in the RV that will filter pond scum, so bad tap water is easy.
Berkey is a popular one.
Britta, no, a joke. Grocery stores and walmark do not sell the good stuff.

rogerddd

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For drinking water and coffee, we have been using a Britta pitcher with filter in our RV’s for years. It just feels better to filter it.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I alwasy had a faucet-mounted carbon-block filter in our RVs to capture anything lurking in the water line or my own water hose. Now I carry a 2-1/2 gallon jug and fill when I find a "nice" chlorinated source. But yes, I drink what they provide

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

I'm not "fastidious" - but DO know that wells can be contaminated by things unseen. A lot of areas are starting to test for PFAS, for example (which may have been in the water supply for decades). Regarding drinking out of stock tanks: yes, humans can deal with water contaminated with pathogens if they do it on a regular basis. But MOST of us in the "first world" have become accustomed to safe water sources, so a swallow of pathogen-laced water will lead to dire results....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Drinking Campground Water...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS