RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Switch to LIFePO4?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Switch to LIFePO4?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Jon

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

No idea what the Trimetric should be programmed at for charging efficiency with Li. About that, where with Wets the efficiency goes off the rails above 80% SOC due to gassing, Li being kept under 80% (however measured) and being Li must make it very high.

OP has Victron instead of Trimetric. PT said Victron accounts for Peukert while Trimetric does not (Tri's manual has a note on why it doesn't bother with that)

So Li and Peukert? Any conflict with Victron's setting?

I spoke to Victron tech and was told their battery SOC meter IS compatible with Li via a simple setting on the app...Xantrex tech says LinkLite is compatible too with Li.

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's one thing to be compatible it's another thing to be at a SoC % compared to cell balance/ resetting the capacity %.

Meaning if a manufacture requires the battery periodically be charged to say 14.2-14.6 (3.55 - 3.65 vpc) for balancing of cells and possibly resetting the capacity % meter.
So if you set your bulk to 13.8 -14.0v, then disconnect, then reconnect and do the same. While all that time discharging the batteries down to 20 or 30% DoD is your capacity % the same compared to your SoC %?

If you do not have a way to actually see your individual cell voltage is your battery actually balanced, are you playing in the knees banking that you bms is going to do its job or hoping the warranty will do its job?

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The question that I asked concerning SOC and Li had to do with available amp/hrs (per programming), and a running tab of amps out versus amps in...

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have some LiFePo4's on order. Here is what Trimetric told me:

We have a link below to the TM-2025's User Manual. In it you'll find, on pages 6 & 7, a description of all the 'P' parameters.

For Lithium LFP batteries, the changes needed are as follows:

P1 - 14.4 Volts.

P2 - 2% of P3 (battery bank capacity)

P3 - Battery Bank capacity in Amp-hrs

P7 - L3

P10 - 98%

P14 - 0.00 hrs

http://www.bogartengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/docs/TM-2025%20Users%20Instructions062017.pdf

I also talked to PD re my PD4635 charger/converter. They said I should keep the boost mode button on.

grizzzman

salt lake city, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 charging efficiency for the Trimetric is 99% for Lifep04.
Bogart LFP charging spec.
I personally would not run the charging without having access to cell level monitoring. Good Luck with your project!

* This post was edited 07/01/19 06:56am by grizzzman *

2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030. Grape solar 40amp controller
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 2P4S 100 AH
400 Watt and 2000 Watt Inverter's hard wired.
Boondocking is my Deal

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. I have the 2010 version of the Trimetric manual. I have not read the newer version(s) to see what's changed, but will later. I know Bogart has a newer version of the 2025 firmware than mine has, where they made some improvements.

It seems that if Li is usually operated under 80% if I got that right, and would have a very high charging efficiency, that the Trimetric's idea of "full" wouldn't be much use, so I was curious.

If you have a % SOC meter of some sort right on the Li bank, I suppose you don't even need the Trimetric, I don't know.

Guys with Li can figure it all out as another adjustment they have to make in how to do things!

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

phemens

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a SOC meter on the BMS panel on each battery.

For wiring the Samlex for grid input, I guess I can take it right from the 30A input receptacle since that is a shorter run than back to the distribution panel, correct?

The Samlex guide recommends 8 AWG for the AC wiring, but isn't 10 AWG sufficient for 30 amp. I have 10 gauge here, rather not buy 8 if I can avoid it. The run is about 10 feet.

2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1Kw solar, 500 AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10ga is sufficient when used to power (1) appliance or outlet

but to act as a 'service' for the RV, I would prefer 8ga

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Interesting.

It seems that if Li is usually operated under 80% if I got that right, and would have a very high charging efficiency, that the Trimetric's idea of "full" wouldn't be much use, so I was curious.

If you have a % SOC meter of some sort right on the Li bank, I suppose you don't even need the Trimetric, I don't know.

Guys with Li can figure it all out as another adjustment they have to make in how to do things!

BLF13 there really is not a lot to figure out, the bms protects the cells (this is the last line of protection). The fail safe if you wish.
Better to have programmable settings in the charger source but if using one that is "set up" generically for lfp, that's your first line of defense.

Lfp have a high efficiency rate in all levels of the SoC % right up to 99% SoC.

I'll use mine as the example again for fimilarity and long term hands on experience.
1,280w solar & 500ah lfp, all Magnum charge sources. I'll max out at 80a (.16c) when the sun is perfect, the norm is 60-75a (.12c -.15c) continous charging and it will keep feeding the batteries to 99% when it hits 14.2v, does it 10 minutes in absorb at 14.2v then backs off to 13.6v float for the afternoon at which time the solar is feeding all my 120ac items (tv, fridge, dvd, phone chargers, laptops). So that what's being produced in solar or consumed in the rig (my display will show 40-60a draw). When the sun goes down the lfp takes over the heavy lifting.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Switch to LIFePO4?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS