|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Low mileage issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with those that don't consider low mileage a detriment, rather, a positive! I've bought many cars with super low miles (2000 Ford Mustang with 2000 miles and was 12 years old at the time; 2002 Oldsmobile with 9000 miles and was 14 years old; a 1990 Mustang with 1600 miles and was 15 years old; 1998 SL500 with 16k miles and was 16 years old, .....none ever had a leak or issue. I look for these vehicles). That said, it's the RV portion that can be neglected/damaged from non-use and maintenance. Don't let the low miles send you down the road, rather, investigate the RV carefully and you may find a true gem that has many, many years left in it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice and considerations. Bottom line, it's situational. Low miles is just one indicator of the remaining service life or impending costs.
You need to look at all factors that affect potential service life and future costs.
BTW, the old "hoses etc are rotten in 10 years" is largely false, but again it's situational.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed, Grit dog, ....... never had any of those vehicles listed in my post spring a leak, blow a gasket, drip oil/trans fluid...nothing! My advise "DON'T BUY any of these low mileage vehicles; LEAVE THEM FOR ME! [emoticon]

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2004 Tioga 26Q was used once on a cross country trip and later on a trip up the coast from LA area to Oregon and otherwise has mostly sat in the driveway during our home remodel, surgeries and recoveries. I am having the generator serviced and house batteries replaced and already had roof vents and plastic cover for fridge replaced, all roof seals re-sealed. The fridge, roof A/C unit and awning were replaced 5 years ago. I'm having a pro mechanic check the engine, cooling system, transmission, and brake system, changing oil and filter and general tune up. Michelin tires with near zero miles look new but will have them checked and replaced any signs of unreliability. RV tires are "iffy" even when new in my opinion. You might use the above as a guide in what to look for in a used low mileage RV. Test everything for proper operation including lights, windows and shades and test drive thoroughly. Make a list and get estimates. Buying any used RV is like buying a house and then getting "surprises" during renovation. Good luck!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Low mileage issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS