|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Low mileage issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Big_steve

SW Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've read many times that low mileage on a Class C is not necessarily a good thing.

What are the issues due to low usage?

What do you consider to be too low mileage on say, a 10 year old MH? Occasionally I see one listed with very low miles like 15K or so.

Also, what would you call high mileage for 10 years?

It's looking like I can afford a MH with 45k to 60k miles, which for a car is pretty young, but I don't know about these big Ford engines. Thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's the oil seals and bearings that dry out from non use that can cause problems.
Hoses, belts and tires can also dry out.
60 to 80K miles on an engines not the problem at all, if the unit has had regular service done.

Low miles can be a worse nightmare than high miles.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mileage that low on a 10 yr old unit means it probably sat a lot. Either unused or lived in permanently and not moved much. The previous poster is right, seals and hoses dry out. You also have to consider what happens to an unused MH, rodents, bugs, roof, seals, plumbing etc. A mh, just like anything needs to be used and cared for. It's also probable that the genset hasn't been run much either. And not exercising a generator under load at least once a month is the worst thing you can do. All that said, it does not mean it's a bad MH. It may have been meticulously cared for and used sparingly for weekend trips. Those are the variables you need to find out - how it was cared for and used. If it sat, I would look elsewhere unless it's a killer deal and you are prepared to really check it out and possibly bring it back to life. Might be a good find.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the other post are good advice, then there,s a few rv,s sittiing in a garage well cared for ready to go, just gotta go look and check them out.low miles does not scare me ,its where the rv has been sitting for so long and care.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would take low over real high any day. in between even better.

Jayco-noslide

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although it's somewhat contrary to the accepted wisdom here, at least according to some, I think there's no inherent problem with low miles. Hoses and belts and tires and other rubber parts can and do wear out after, say, ten years due to age, low or medium or high miles. I rather doubt that a ten year old belt or whatever with 50K miles is going to be in better shape than a ten year old belt with 10K miles. I'd even say much the same thing for brake calipers; there's a reasonable chance that any ten year old caliper is going to be sticky and may need to be rebuilt or replaced.

If the caulking and other maintenance items have not been attended to, that of course is a significant problem; and if not being driven much does in fact also mean not receiving proper periodic maintenance (as is sometimes the case), then avoid due to the lack of that maintenance. On the other hand, it may just mean that it hasn't been driven very far which is no big deal in my opinion.

In short: I would look at the condition, and more or less ignore the number on the odometer on its own.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any engine will have issues with sitting idle too long. In my mind, it's more about how those miles were put on than the gross number itself. 5-6k miles per year is a fair amount of driving for a family rig that's being used for weekend trips, week-long vacations, etc... If a family has been driving the rig 5-6k per year, for the past 10 years, and they've been maintaining it along the way, that would be a reasonable rig to consider.

On the other hand, if they drive that 60k miles in the first -56 years, and then the kids graduated and it's been sitting in the driveway immobile for the last 4, that's an entirely different can of worms.

Understanding exactly how it's been used can help you make a much more informed decision about where the concerns may be.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like low miles. All RVs sit a lot unless they are used full time.
The rubber and tire issues are easily fixed.
Some people use their RVs pretty often around home, at football games and at nearby campgrounds. They get used just don't have much mileage. That is the kind to buy.

owenssailor

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/19 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not a motorhome but a few years ago I bought a 10 year old Mazda Miata with 19000 km ( 12000 miles). That is an average of 1200 miles per year. I have added 30000 km (18000 miles) in 3 summers. There has not been any problem with the vehicle at all even though it was driven very little. I replaced the tires and changed the oil and filter right after purchase.

2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

owenssailor

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/19 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not a motorhome but a few years ago I bought a 10 year old Mazda Miata with 19000 km ( 12000 miles). That is an average of 1200 miles per year. I have added 30000 km (18000 miles) in 3 summers. There has not been any problem with the vehicle at all even though it was driven very little. I replaced the tires and changed the oil and filter right after purchase.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Low mileage issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS