RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How much does 30+ feet actually effect ability to find space

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> How much does 30+ feet actually effect ability to find space

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SC state park are on the smaller side. Most were built before larger RV's really became a thing. Most places, you just have to book early enough before the larger spaces get gone.

2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The answer depends entirely on where you like to camp. Many NPS and FS campgrounds in the West, have mostly tent sites. Trailers under 24 feet usually fit. The older campgrounds barely have room in the west to drive through them with a large rig, much less camp there.

I have run into plenty of campgrounds where there is not enough room for a 24 foot trailer, but many people think their 35 footer "fits everywhere." If your idea of camping is RV parks surrounded by white fiberglass no problem.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we, like many others have never been turned away. the real difference seems to be over 40'.
many places we have been our 40' has no problems, but a 43' would be a squeeze.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been in state, city, and COE parks where 40’+ would be no problem. And we have been in some where it would be difficult to get 35’ into. Most have some number of longer sites, with many more sites shorter ones. If reservations are allowed, the larger sites go first. Likewise if the park is first come first serve the longer larger sites go first. Waiting til the last minute can be a problem at a popular park.

doxiemom11

Paris, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are 36' pulling a 10' trailer and have never had a problem. We have been full-time for 9 yrs now. However, if a campground says 30'max on their website or info, we just look for another campground, maybe go a little further, stop a little sooner, but have never been without a site.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind it's not the size of the PAD that's important. Rather, it's the size of the ROADS getting to the site. You don't bend in the middle like a fiver or a bumper pull so those posters with a 40' trailer differ from those with a 40' motorhome. That said, west coast is more forgiving than east coast. We're 45' and found we fit in most State and Federal parks. At least those WE want to stay at. YMMV....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find some campgrounds on the west coast have length limits. MY 33' MH has a decal under the drivers window that says "30W". Don't ask, don't tell.

Richard

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive,
they would eventually, find me attractive.

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't stay in pay to play campgrounds very often but length has only been an issue in one park in Ventura, CA. The issue we have found is width. By the time we put our slide out and the neighbor puts his slides out doesn't leave much breathing room.

State and Federal campgrounds have not been an issue with PADS but rather as Executive said the issue has been with the ROADS or access to the pad.

I am 36' with the MH but I typically have a 20' TOAD or 20' trailer that needs wide turns.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

20 years ago I made the mistake of believing the 36’ Max for public CGs and during the summer we stay mainly in USFS CGs that do not take reservations. As you can see below I got a chuckle out of your question and that’s why I posted.m
I do get stares when I pull in as most big rigs are afraid to.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

Yankee Clipper

Cairo, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

Keep in mind it's not the size of the PAD that's important. Rather, it's the size of the ROADS getting to the site. You don't bend in the middle like a fiver or a bumper pull so those posters with a 40' trailer differ from those with a 40' motorhome. That said, west coast is more forgiving than east coast. We're 45' and found we fit in most State and Federal parks. At least those WE want to stay at. YMMV....Dennis

X2. Also, one piece of advice I got that helped avoid a lot of trouble is to keep an eye on the tree bark as you go into a park. Crunched trees indicate a really narrow access point

Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS, Duke the overgrown Boxer mascot/lousy watch dog
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> How much does 30+ feet actually effect ability to find space
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS