|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Northwood Runaround Rant

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
TBammer

Mid-Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought the Arctic Fox 25W and I think it is a great trailer. But, I have to say the attitude I got from the Northwood people regarding getting electrical schematics was very disappointing. At first Brent said "sure" and send me a plug and outlet location drawing. When I called and said this is not a schematic. Brent said well we don't have one. When I asked if they sell a trailer without someone actually designing the electrical system, he said no. He then passed me on to a service manager named Matt, who finally when pushed for an answer, finally said "no" you cannot have the drawing. 2 phone calls, being talked down to, and a 1/2 hour of time to be told "you don't get know how your trailer is designed." If you have had this experience with other manufacturers, please respond. I am curious how much hide the ball goes on out there.

I need to amend my original post. I am not as cheesed about not being given a schematic, because as others noted I can work around it if I'm just careful about planning my mods. What is unacceptable to me is being lied to for 30 minutes, being told that an outlet location chart is a schematic, then being told one does not exist and then being handed off to an a**hole who finally admitted they just wont hand it out and then threatening to dox me if I post about the service department's crappy way of handling the request.

* This post was edited 05/23/19 12:29pm by TBammer *

2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why do you need a schematic? Wiring in TTs is pretty straightforward. I would say actual routing of wires in any TT could be different each day or even TT to TT. Electrical in RVs is done to code - NEC article 551. If you want to verify what lights, outlets, etc. are on a circuit, that can be determined by just pulling a fuse or flipping a breaker. Northwood will no different than other TT manufacturers on this so don't get frustrated in them. BTW, I'm an EE and have no desire for a wiring schematic and I've done tons of wiring mods.

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

TBammer

Mid-Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Myderacer: You're right. I just thought having it would make my minor mods easier to do. The part that frosts me is that I got the run around for 30 minutes, being told there is no schematic and then that there is (any breathing adult knows there is), and finally you cannot have it. If I had been told that first off I still would have been frosted but at least I would not have been lied to for 30 minutes.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you would be hard pressed to get schematics from any manufacturer. My Montana had a wiring error when new. Dealer had a little trouble finding where the miswire was. Afterward I asked the service manager if he could get me a copy of the wiring diagram for the 5er. He said that even he could not get one.

A wiring diagram would be what you would need. A schematic shows how it is connected electrically with no regard to actual wiring paths or routing. A wiring diagram should show actual wiring paths and point to point routing.

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I understand NW does NOT provide schematics. 8 years ago, or more??? they stopped providing schematics. So I went wire "fishing" by removing my overhead my fan vents plastic trim piece, and with a coat hanger found lots of wires.

I also removed the front panel on the elec fuse box to make sure connections were tight. I found 2 metal screws just laying loose. Loose as in maybe the screws could vibrate and bounce around shorting out something. Screws looked like what an installer used to mount the box.

NW has been good to us. We were missing some stuff when we bought used. Called and provided vin number and list what we were missing, about week later UPS showed up with big box full of goodies.

Have you checked out https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/ While no longer a member myself, lots of good info that was handy for new NW owner.

NW still ones of the better OEM's out there IMO. But certainly not built like years ago.

Somewhere on youtube somebody has video of NW making a unit and showed them putting in wires.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s just like a house. There is no schematic. They just run the wires and hook them to the outlets and distribution center. If you call a home builder they would t have a schematic either.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My last RV, a 2005 holiday rambler Alumascape had a large binder with tabs that told you everything you needed to know. Wiring schematics for 120 and 12 V systems, how to winterize etc. Literally everything in the trailer was demonstrated with drawings etc.

When I bout my new RV a 2015 DRV Tradition there was nothing like that . The warranty cards were scattered all over the rig. I had to gathere them up one by one. They could not be troubled to put them in one drawer.

Yes times have changed. Good luck and happy camping.

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

hawkeye-08

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too went looking for wiring schematic for our 2013 Arctic Fox 27T.. my first quest was regarding troubleshooting the hot water heater.. but then I wondered about the sticker that said "solar ready". I got a response from NW but it was less than desirable... my solar ready is a fitting on roof that is sealed with wires going inside somewhere. All that I read talked about having the shortest wires from solar controller to batteries, so went in search of it somewhere in the front.. I found it in the very back of the trailer, two wires in the upper cabinet. Of course a well planned solar install would not put the controller there so the "solar ready" feature is of no use (except perhaps there is a hole through roof already so I don't have to cut that).

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very few manufacturers use a wiring harness which would allow a printed schematic. Most are just wired on the fly which means a schematic would be impossible. Does Northwood use a pre-assembled harness?

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnebago is about the only manufacturer that has wiring schematics, electrical equipment installation drawings, plumbing drawings, and complete parts lists, for everything, going way back, ONLINE. It is very nice and adds value to the WBO products. I made good use of them while I owned my '07 View, and they come in handy when helping others online who don't understand electrical schematics.

Some manufacturers will tell you its proprietary information they cannot release, meaning, they do not have it, or they don't keep such stuff filed for the future.

Artic Fox does use an outside vendor to build up complete wiring harnesses, with connectors, and bundled, ready to install, so they should have the drawings, they do not wire on the fly.

See this video, at 17:25 he shows you a harness and explains this.

https://youtu.be/x9rmC2iacvI

Charles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Northwood Runaround Rant
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS