RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Heading to Mt. Rushmore

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Heading to Mt. Rushmore

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah night time is way more gooder than daytime. Actually the best time. The sunset service, 80% less people, not as hot and seeing the mountain lit up.
I'd get reservations though. Russian roulette near big attractions during the summer if you don't.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eye of the needle - Custer State Park

[image]

No matter how many pics you see of this, they will never measure up to IRL.

[image]
[image]

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd suggesting taking the bus tour of the area which includes Crazy Horse and a lunch. Also, do you know what movie was shot in the Badlands area?

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked the Mt Rushmore KOA and for June 7 - 9 they still have some back in sites but most pullthru's are already reserved (Except for the deluxe patio sites).
If I was you I would reserve now.

slider45

GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

janstey58 wrote:

If you can find availability the KOA in the area is best for kids, two pools and lots to do, and LOTS of kids, LOL. Do the Steam Train to Keystone, Leadville, wandering burros in the state park, Hot Springs, and Mt Rushmore of course.

Heard too how wonderful this place for kids!

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 11:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mt Rushmore is a major travel destination. When we were there 2 years ago, I had reservations made 6 months ahead of time for Custer SP. I like the comfort of knowing I have a place to stay. Pickings will be slim, and getting thinner by the day.
Not to say that you won't find a place....but it might be a place you don't want to be at. Pull the trigger and nail down a spot, especially since you're taking your granddaughters.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will likely find a spot to camp, but anytime after the first week of June, the availability closes up quickly.

Don't forget the jackets/warm clothes, as the mornings/evenings are often near freezing in early season camping. It is snowing right now in most parts of the Black Hills, some areas already have a foot of snow on the ground.

Jerry

ncrowley

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second the Rafter J Bar Ranch, but I would worry about getting a spot at that RV park or others in the area without reservations. They have a short season and they fill up in the season. You can call the RV parks and they will tell you if you will need a reservation.

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

...No matter how many pics you see of this, they will never measure up to IRL....

Okay, so a few years back an artist decided to carve some faces in to the mountain.

HOWEVER, take the time to understand why *these* men were chosen to adorn this mountain. It really is the early history of our country, the perils it faced, and its ascension to the world stage. From the Revolutionary War, through the expansion of the Louisiana Purchase, surviving the Civil War, and to the Great White Fleet announcing our presence to the world. These men were giants in our nation's coming of age. As awesome as this monument is, it does not do justice to the history it represents.

I am an American. I fly the flag outside my home. And I am always humbled every time I visit Mt. Rushmore.

To the OP... Lots of fun stuff to see and do in the Black Hills. Enjoy it!! However, I suggest you take some time to make sure the grandkids understand what Mt. Rushmore represents and that is is not just some random tourist attraction. They are at an impressionable age, and this is a great learning opportunity.

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

slider45

GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

Mt Rushmore is a major travel destination. When we were there 2 years ago, I had reservations made 6 months ahead of time for Custer SP. I like the comfort of knowing I have a place to stay. Pickings will be slim, and getting thinner by the day.
Not to say that you won't find a place....but it might be a place you don't want to be at. Pull the trigger and nail down a spot, especially since you're taking your granddaughters.

This season seems to be a good one and more people might go there. It might be better to reserve as early as possible for good spots.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Heading to Mt. Rushmore
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS