RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Leveling and turning on your refrigerator?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Leveling and turning on your refrigerator?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
melloftus

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So naively when we began to look at TT's I commented to my husband" this is going to be so great! No more worrying about Ice chests, water logged butter etc.." Well since acquiring our TT I have come to terms with the fact that Ice chests will always still be part of our camping experience and I am okay with that because who doesnt like pulling out a ice cold adult beverage from a cooler!" However I would like to limit my Ice chests to said adult beverages and maybe a few sodas too [emoticon])
Here is my dilemma. We took our new to us trailer out the first time about a month ago. We had not attempted to turn the fridge on at all because I have read so many things that having your fridge on and the trailer not being level is a big no-no. The prior owner stressed this as well and mentioned that the fridge has had the thermostat replaced. Everything worked and it took about 2 hours( probably less had I read the manual 1st on how to turn it on) Ultimately what I would like to do is turn the fridge on either the night before or the morning before we leave, so I would assume 12-24 hours max to get it cold so I can place some items in it on our way up to our spots usually no more that 2 hours away. I tested the units ability to hold temp on our way home last time in a 98 degree day with it off and everything was still nice and cold.
the problem is street in front of our home is slightly sloped enough so that we cant get the trailer level without unhitching it which defeats the purpose of having it out front to we can load and go..
I have read short periods are ok.. i have read never do this.. I have read its ok to have your fridge on when driving ( We wont be doing this as I run ours on propane and I highly doubt that is legal to do in CA and sounds super dangerous)
Any advice would be appreciated
Thank you
Melanie

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

melloftus wrote:

I have read short periods are ok.. i have read never do this.. I have read its ok to have your fridge on when driving ( We wont be doing this as I run ours on propane and I highly doubt that is legal to do in CA and sounds super dangerous)

Even 15 minutes significantly off level can destroy your fridge.

Not illegal to run your fridge on propane anywhere other than where posted, such as tunnels, bridges, etc.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Norcold recommends that their refrigerators operate within 3 degrees off level side-to-side and 6 degrees off level front-to-back. What does this mean for you when leveling your rig? Half a bubble on your RV level should be good enough for an overnight stay.

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't fear running your fridge on propane while driving.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you overlooked the obvious? Put the TT or TV on blocks. I made blocks for our daughters home and left they there.

Read the refer manual about leveling. Some say 3 deg in one direction and 6 deg in the other direction. Some say if the rig is comfortable to walk in then it's OK. So dead level is not required. Then use a level to determine the rig slope. 1.24" on a 24" level is 3 deg. There are many right angle online trig calculators for other level lengths.

If it won't level then the fluid will not circulate so don't use it.

The length of time to cool varies with ambient temperature both inside and outside.

There are a million posts on traveling with the propane on or off. Bottom line is very minimal risk because the tank is designed to shut off should a significant break occur. There are no abnormal restrictions on traveling in CA with propane on for RVs or propane powered cars. Many states have propane restrictions for some tunnels that require the main valve to be off and in some cases you can't use the tunnel. I've traveled with the propane on since 1983 and a lot of that was in CA.

Turn the refer on, leave it on and the cooler stays home.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Wishbone51

End of the Oregon Trail

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

melloftus wrote:

the problem is street in front of our home is slightly sloped enough so that we cant get the trailer level without unhitching it

Can you explain this? How unlevel? How are you levelling it? front-to-back or side-to-side unlevel?

2000 Komfort M-24TS
2004 Nissan Titan

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"How are you levelling it? front-to-back or side-to-side unlevel?"

Both. Level side to side first, then front to back.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wishbone51 wrote:

melloftus wrote:

the problem is street in front of our home is slightly sloped enough so that we cant get the trailer level without unhitching it

Can you explain this? How unlevel? How are you levelling it? front-to-back or side-to-side unlevel?
Good question. At my daughters home the blocks were different heights to accommodate curb side parking with leveling in both directions.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on the year. I know the older fridges had to be kept level. The new ones - not so much. Think of a motorhome. Most MH owners (us included) run our fridge constantly. Travelling down the road is subject to constant rolling and rocking. It is not a residential unit but an LP/power rv fridge. As long as you are not significantly off level for any extended period of time I don't think it matters on the newer models. But to be sure - ask the manufacturer.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stop worrying.
Yes you can run your fridge while driving, on propane. That's the beauty of it. Yes you can leave it on indefinitely, weeks, months, whatever.
3deg side to side on the fridge is 3 deg front to back on the camper, since most fridges are mounted against a wall, "sideways" in the camper. If it's the other way then you twice as much angle to play with.

Here's where simple math can help you.
1deg = 2% slope which is 1/4" per foot of slope.
3deg = 3/4"/ft of slope.
Typical 24' camper can be out of level front to back 18" to hit the limit that is recommended or prescribed for absorption fridge.Turn the fridge on, get it cold, fill it with....whatever and don't worry about it.

Think about it, if it was actually that fragile, it wouldn't work in a MOBILE home.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Leveling and turning on your refrigerator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS