RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Leveling and turning on your refrigerator?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Leveling and turning on your refrigerator?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

grit dog is right on there not as fragile as people think. ours is 9years old never had a problem ,and its NEVER been perfect on level. we have a bubble level we sit on the table as long as its close were good. loading things have some of your food already froze and the drinks cooled etc before you load. a tip we put a froxen water bottle in the frig part with the milk and pop.helps coll better.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Level it side to side using some boards under the low side tires
Place fridge in 'AUTO' and turn it on
(If AC Power available it will run on electric element...if not it will auto swap to GAS and run on the propane------just need 12VDC and propane valved in service)

Cool it overnight.load it up
Leave it running in 'AUTO' on gas which is NOT illegal even in CALIFORNIA

Note: If not safe to run while traveling then I would NOT run it while stationary and sleeping!! (Has more safety features then you vehicle fuel system)

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years and different RV's I have never paid much attention to the fridge other than on or off. A day or sometimes a week before we leave I turn it on. As we stop for fuel, lunch, sight see, or for a quick overnight I don't concern myself with being level. At camp I get it level enough that the bathroom door won't swing open while it is being used. When we get home it may get turned off that day or a week later. As far as degree or percentage out of level regardless of whether I go south or north we spend much of the time going up and down 6% grades and the fridge is on the entire time.

Now I might just be lucky but I agree that they are not as fragile as we are lead to believe.

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you concerned about pre-cooling it before loading? Many times we have loaded up our few needed items and food, drove to the storage unit fired up the fridge, and took off. Never died from doing it.

I never turned it off when driving except to fuel. Long threads about that but I just felt better turning it off.

Got a residential one now, same thing but cooling is faster.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

only time you MUST TURN OFF is when fueling or you could be on the 6pm news.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can download an app for your phone with a level on it. You can place the phone on the floor and it will tell you how far out of level it is in degrees. Compare this to the recommendation in your manual. You might be surprised how far off it can be and still be within the manufacturer's specification.
It's perfectly legal and normal to use the propane while traveling. Your manual should also speak to that.

bigorange

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a bullseye level inside our fridge. I glance at it to make sure things are close to level, but have never really worried about it. Turn it on when I want it to cool (usually overnight to pre-cool it before loading it for a trip), and drive with it on. I too prefer iced drinks out of a cooler and especially with the kids to cut down on the traffic in and out of the trailer.

Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might consider freezing some larger size bottled waters. Then add them to your fridge, they will help expedite cooling. Frozen bottles will also help cool when you can’t turn on your fridge.

* This post was edited 05/21/19 04:55pm by OkieGene *

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

only time you MUST TURN OFF is when fueling or you could be on the 6pm news.

IMO that is a REAL CHICKEN LITTLE comment[emoticon]

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All these ways folks use to ensure their fridge is level assumes that the TT and fridge are built square and level by the conscientious TT workers. And that the fridge components are built to the same exacting standards.
The name Pollyanna comes to mind.

If its close, don't sweat it. And the use of blocks overnight is the way I'd go.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Leveling and turning on your refrigerator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS