RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: One night running the heater and blower

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> One night running the heater and blower

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

One note, open a bath roof vent or something. A by product of LP burning is water vapor and will drive up the humidity in your RV.

No need to open a vent. Running a furnace does not produce water vapor inside the trailer.

SoonerWing03

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

I cannot find it in the specifications, but if it is a single battery, then it is a bad bet. With any single battery and a 30K heater by anybody, it will want about 10 amps when the fan is running. That will kill any normal battery before morning.

So, if you run that heater more than about 6 hours from a fully charged battery, it may go down.

If you come back tomorrow with more about your house bank and what the heater is, I can give you a more accurate answer. You may not like it any better, but it will be closer.

Matt

I know I only have 1 battery but I am not sure what it is. I bought the trailer used but my best guess is that it is the batter that came on the trailer from the manufacturer.

Let's assume I was to get a new battery (or two) for this purpose. Would it be best to get two Group 24 batteries and run them in tandem? Would this ensure that I can make it through the night.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

janstey58 wrote:

At 50 degrees I would have the windows open and enjoy the cool air. Or just use extra blankets and take off the chill in the AM when you wake up. Just other options.

Agree.

When the last person goes to bed, turn the furnace OFF, bundle up with blankets or use body heat to stay nice and toasty. First person up in the morning, turn the furnace back on. (Windows open - optional but a good idea)

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

way2roll wrote:

One note, open a bath roof vent or something. A by product of LP burning is water vapor and will drive up the humidity in your RV.

No need to open a vent. Running a furnace does not produce water vapor inside the trailer.

Agree. All the burning of propane by the furnace, is done outside the RV and/or exhausted outside the RV. Now, using propane stove top, or oven is a different matter.

Lwiddis

Crestview area, Inyo County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Would it be best to get two Group 24 batteries and run them in tandem?”

Buying Group 24 batteries by anyone except those that almost always plugin isn’t a wise decision IMO.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For reference, the Group 29 battery in my popup will run the furnace all night when the outside temp is in the mid 20s, and the furnace runs a LOT when it's that cold. If your battery is up to snuff you should be fine.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoonerWing03 wrote:

I know I only have 1 battery but I am not sure what it is. I bought the trailer used but my best guess is that it is the batter that came on the trailer from the manufacturer.

Let's assume I was to get a new battery (or two) for this purpose. Would it be best to get two Group 24 batteries and run them in tandem? Would this ensure that I can make it through the night.

Batteries on towables are NOT installed by manufacturers, they are dealer-installed items.
A lot depends on if you plan on doing more dry camping or boondocking, in the future. If so, a dual battery setup will be better.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One rule of thumb is one battery, one night. Be sure to fully charge before you leave on the trip. You may wish to start the furnace one hour before you stop driving--that way any "long run" may be mostly covered by the alternator.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stop over at wal mart get the biggest marine deep cycle on the shelf. two would be better. and go camping

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoonerWing03 wrote:

Two 6v golf cart batteries for the win

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> One night running the heater and blower
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS