|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RVs and the NEC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I am probably opening a huge can of worms here, I would like to clear up a few things if possible.

The NEC is really a product of the NFPA.

The NEC or the Code is the National Electrical Code, it is neither a CODE(law or rule) nor is it National. In fact there are three states that have not adopted the NEC.

The NFPA is the National Fire Protection Association, prepared and funded in part by insurance underwriters.

The fact that RVIA(RV Industry Association) has adopted the NEC as the recommended standard for electrical installations in RVs, it has no requirement that RV builders must follow the NEC. It is not a AHJ.

This LINK goes to one mans interpretation of what the Code is, you can accept it or reject it but it is accurate.

Additionally, the Code does not and cannot require the builder of a RV park to install RV pedestals or how many or what capacity it must install. It only covers what pedestals are acceptable to the NFPA.

If this is to far off course, the Mod or Admin should remove it, that is the way it works.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster backplates

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

While I am probably opening a huge can of worms here, I would like to clear up a few things if possible.

The NEC is really a product of the NFPA.

The NEC or the Code is the National Electrical Code, it is neither a CODE(law or rule) nor is it National. In fact there are three states that have not adopted the NEC.

The NFPA is the National Fire Protection Association, prepared and funded in part by insurance underwriters.

The fact that RVIA(RV Industry Association) has adopted the NEC as the recommended standard for electrical installations in RVs, it has no requirement that RV builders must follow the NEC. It is not a AHJ.

This LINK goes to one mans interpretation of what the Code is, you can accept it or reject it but it is accurate.

Additionally, the Code does not and cannot require the builder of a RV park to install RV pedestals or how many or what capacity it must install. It only covers what pedestals are acceptable to the NFPA.Additionally, the Code does not and cannot require the builder of a RV park to install RV pedestals or how many or what capacity it must install. It only covers what pedestals are acceptable to the NFPA.

If this is to far off course, the Mod or Admin should remove it, that is the way it works.

I hate to be contrary but, If the State/county/city has a building department that issues building permits and the State has adopted the NEC building code then it must follow the NEC Artical Part VI #551.71 as to how many, what size and where the pedestals are installed. If not they will not issue a permit and the power company will not hook up. It's just the way it works.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am curious since I served on two NFPA committees for 15 years. NFPA is a self funded non profit organization established in 1896 and has produced over 100 standards and codes addressing about everything concerning fire safety. And it may well be partly funded by insurance underwriters. But I have never heard that and am curious where to find that info.

NFPA creates documents in the form of "standards" and "codes". You are correct that the codes are not law in themselves. But they are written in a format with the proper rigidly written language to be adopted as legally enforceable codes by state or local entities or AHJs. Standards are less rigid written and more intended as guidelines.

Each standard and code has a committee of typically about 15-25 non paid volunteers who work in some way associated with that particular industry, meaning they have some expertise in the field rather than someone sitting behind a desk making up rules. In the case of the committees I served on there were representatives from the manufacturers of associated equipment, from manufacturers of associated control systems, from major engineer and consulting and construction firms, from insurance underwriters, and from the end user/customer/buyers of the products. Each group would have 2-5 members on the committee. In our case only 2 members from insurance. Prior to any proposed provision put into the codes and standards, there is a vote of members as to whether that provision is acceptable to all parties. It requires a majority vote to pass thereby preventing any individual party being able to install provisions that benefit that party without being acceptable by the majority. The end user likes more relaxed rules. Insurance likes more rigid rules. The others are typically somewhere in the middle. The final verbiage comes after much discussion and voting by all members.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AHJ's??

'73,
rich, n9dko
Remember...if you don’t know where you’re going you're bound to end up somewhere else.
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

cavie

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

AHJ's??

Authority Having Jurisdiction. Building Department. Building Inspector.

cavie

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Bishop. You worms got out[emoticon]

bounder39zman

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Authority having jurisdiction, i.e. City, county, state etc

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While you guys are discussing, arguing and looking up technical things, Jakie is tossing a handful of wires for Amos to fasten somehow. I'm sure those guys are well versed in standards and codes.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Follow the money. In most areas of the U.S., project financing is eventually provided by a banking/insurance institution where somebody eventually asks the question: "Does this project meet all the current applicable standards?" If not, . . . . . well my friend, . . . . . they are not loaning you any money. Funny how that tends to put the dampers on even the best (looking) plans.

Chum lee

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well , well, absolute and really factual intercourse. You are all as friendly as possible and I think this is like the Forums of 15 or 20 years ago.

Just one point to make, any AHJ can and is entitled to change or exclude any part of any NFPA code to suit their purpose, including changing or deleting parts of the NEC. An example is the NEC allowed the use of romex but sometime ago, the City of Los Angeles chose not to purmit it's use, after due consideration they changed their mind.

My point had to do mostly with semantics, and saying "the code required", it really is an advisory document, and a d--m good one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RVs and the NEC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS