|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RVs and the NEC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

While you guys are discussing, arguing and looking up technical things, Jakie is tossing a handful of wires for Amos to fasten somehow. I'm sure those guys are well versed in standards and codes.

I think I am reading that the way you intended it.. So I'll tell a TRUE story.

Back when I had Sticks and Bricks I "Upgraded" the HEVAC to a new high efficiency furnace and central A/C.

Well it was too cold to properly charge the A/C so they told me they would come back when it warmed up some (NOTE.. This I do understand) Well it warmed up.. Just barely enough. and they came back.

|Blew every spare fuse he had but one before he found out why.

THe "Amos" hooked the black wire to the green screw and the other way around.

(Color blindness is a sex linked trait. and yes I am.. Slightly. but I'm not AMOS and I know which screw is Green Same for the wire).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

I hate to be contrary but, If the State/county/city has a building department that issues building permits and the State has adopted the NEC building code then it must follow the NEC Artical Part VI #551.71 as to how many, what size and where the pedestals are installed. If not they will not issue a permit and the power company will not hook up. It's just the way it works.

Very true and in addition, if even if not adopted, you better have a good explanation for why you didn't follow the code if there is an electrical fire.

NEC is standard industry practice so if you ignore it, expect to get nailed with negligence in the event of an issue.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

RayJayco

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An engineer (for a specific field) can override (in their specific field) a building inspector by signing off on it and accepting responsibility.
Just throwing that out there.
Yes, I have a generals license in the hardest place with the hardest construction test in the world, to obtain that license, Florida. Most states will issue me a generals license in their state, by showing my FL license and paying the appropriate amount. Florida reciprocates to no state or location. To get the FL license, you must pass the test and meet other criteria.

Inquiring minds want to know...

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

While you guys are discussing, arguing and looking up technical things, Jakie is tossing a handful of wires for Amos to fasten somehow. I'm sure those guys are well versed in standards and codes.

Yes they are versed, just like the 3 Yoder brothers. They're currently over tightening and stripping the lugs out on 120VAC breakers, so the conductors can be smashed flat and break off, and doing a half assed job with those Scotchlocks on the 12VDC wiring. One of them may even be crimping pex fittings to PVC tubing with pex crimp rings LOL.

[image]

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

The fact that RVIA(RV Industry Association) has adopted the NEC as the recommended standard for electrical installations in RVs, it has no requirement that RV builders must follow the NEC. It is not a AHJ.

While technically correct, you wrong. LOL

It is one of those daisy-chains of bureaucracy we all love so much.

The NEC, and other items covered by various other standards by NFPA, ANSI, CSA in our case up here, they are "life safety standards".

Now, where it gets convoluted, is that the standards are national standards, but the adoption, requirement and enforcement fall to the individual States or Provinces.

Make no mistake though, that seal by the door certifying the unit as conforming to NFPA 1192 or whichever standard it's built to is most certainly a legal requirement.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Just one point to make, any AHJ can and is entitled to change or exclude any part of any NFPA code to suit their purpose, including changing or deleting parts of the NEC. ........

My point had to do mostly with semantics, and saying "the code required", it really is an advisory document, and a d--m good one.

Wrong on both counts. No one but the associated NFPA committee can change any part of any NFPA code or standard. An AHJ can write into their own codes that the NFPA code is to be used with that AHJ’s own defined exceptions. But cannot change or delete.

And once adopted in that AHJ’s codes it becomes enforceable, not advisory. You don’t get the choice of making your own decisions.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Yes they are versed, just like the 3 Yoder brothers. They're currently over tightening and stripping the lugs out on 120VAC breakers, so the conductors can be smashed flat and break off, and doing a half assed job with those Scotchlocks on the 12VDC wiring. One of them may even be crimping pex fittings to PVC tubing with pex crimp rings LOL.

I liked my brake wiring where one magnet wire was not stripped, so only had three brakes.

My detachable inlet conductors were completely loose and the inlet fell to the ground when I removed it from the wall. Talk about fire safety!

Just two examples, but there are many more if you pay attention.

The dam thing was not road worthy and plugged in was a serious fire hazard. Again, argue the codes, standards and laws, but I do know what actually happens on the manufacturing floor in various industries.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wrong thread

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 03:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RayJayco wrote:

An engineer (for a specific field) can override (in their specific field) a building inspector by signing off on it and accepting responsibility.

In theory except:
- You have to convince the inspector that the PE has that authority, if you want the final approval on your permit.
- A PE license in most states is not field specific, so in theory any PE can do this, though most sane PE's won't go outside their field. (also most states accept a PE from other states as it's largely been standardized across the country with just a few exceptions)
- Good luck getting an engineer to sign and stamp plans that violate the NEC. We engineers tend to be a conservative lot and it's not fun explaining to a judge why you didn't follow industry practice.

1968mooney

Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

BillyBob Jim wrote:

I liked my brake wiring where one magnet wire was not stripped, so only had three brakes.

My detachable inlet conductors were completely loose and the inlet fell to the ground when I removed it from the wall. Talk about fire safety!

Exact reason I would not live beside a fellow that owns a RV much less travel in one.

Just two examples, but there are many more if you pay attention.

The dam thing was not road worthy and plugged in was a serious fire hazard. Again, argue the codes, standards and laws, but I do know what actually happens on the manufacturing floor in various industries.

Exactly the reason I would not live beside a person that owns a RV much less travel in one. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/24/19 05:29am by 1968mooney *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RVs and the NEC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS