RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Camping or Glamping?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping or Glamping?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look up the definition of the word "camp". When all is said and done pretty much any kind of RVing could be considered camping. The general definition that everyone uses is that camping is only in tents, and that's to please others, not ourselves. I don't really care what people call what I do.

I have camped in tents and pop-up campers. I have portaged equipment (tents, boats, fishing gear, and drums of gasoline) from one lake to another and have camped in the deep wilderness and have woken up to moose in the camp. I've pulled boats up raging rapids. I don't have to prove anything to anyone. I want my vacations to be relaxing now, not work. I cook outside, I sleep under canvas. But I have heat, a refrigerator, and a shower. I am not ashamed of the comforts I have. I've earned them. I still go camping.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO - if you have a wood fire, if you sleep in a canvas/nylon tent, cold stuff is in a ice chest, and you have ropes for whatever, then you are camping. Those of us with TT’s, Fifth Wheels, motor homes are NOT camping. We may be enjoying nature, having a good time, and “glamping” , but a far stretch from camping.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate it when the media make up words to suit themselves, i.e. "glamping", or putting two peoples' names together to create something to hype. I personally don't care how other people do it, as long as they don't care how I do it. OTOH, camping is sleeping in a tent, that tent may have cots, but it still has to be a tent.

"Even though I am disgusted by how spoiled all of us have become."

Good to see that you included yourself in that. I have no problems with being spoiled. If I had more money I'd be more spoiled.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rfloyd99

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate it when the media make up words to suit themselves, i.e. "glamping", or putting two peoples' names together to create something to hype. I personally don't care how other people do it, as long as they don't care how I do it.

I was just about to reply with the same sentiment! Is "glamping" supposed to be "glamour camping"?

I have never stayed in an RV park that cost over $65 a night, although I hear there are some. There has not been anything glamourous about the close quarters, full time residents of the park who live in poorly maintained rigs with clutter stuffed underneath, and dumping your sewage before you leave!

We can do better than "glamping" as a description of "not sleeping in a tent", IMO

hookie

Naperville, IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

Thank You for your answers! But, with no apparent, absolute answers..... I guess that we’re simply RV’rs , without all the unnecessary descriptive adjectives!

So we’re Recreational Vehiclers?

'14 Sportsmen Classic 190
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 Hemi

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife had never seen the term “glamping” before today. The article, found in The Farmers Almanac, defined “glamping” as this:

What Is Glamping?
The word glamping is a mash-up of “glamorous” and “camping” and is the latest travel craze that provides guests with an unforgettable outdoor experience without having to give up creature comforts—possibly with fewer creatures. Think of it as a smoother version of “roughing it.” Glamping lets you spend time with family and friends while allowing you to reconnect with nature.

One thing that is common.....there are no commonalities! As proven with some of the answers given....We are 180 degrees away from the views of some!

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

We consider our 24 foot Class C motorhome as an insulated, weather-proof, heated, cooled, mobile tent that has two permanent queen beds, a refrigerator, a 3-burner stove top, an oven, a table, two sinks, a shower, a toilet, tanks for liquids, and lot of storage volume.

As such, we consider each trip in our mobile tent as a potential mini-expedition in our poor-man's expedition vehicle. We prefer taking it out to nature-based areas as opposed to areas involving around human habitation ... however we do visit both types of places. Do we camp or glamp? I don't know.

Pnichols......again we find ourselves traveling in a “parallel universe”!

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hookie wrote:

memtb wrote:

Thank You for your answers! But, with no apparent, absolute answers..... I guess that we’re simply RV’rs , without all the unnecessary descriptive adjectives!

So we’re Recreational Vehiclers?

That could open the door to an entirely new discussion! [emoticon]

PhilipB

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always said we camped. Made it to over 40 states before kids left for college. We didn't lack for anything. Nice beds, A/C, frig, etc. Mostly stayed in private campgrounds. Call it what you want. I think kids mostly enjoyed it, but then again I didn't take a survey.

2015 Ram 2500
2013 Raptor 310TS

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had never heard the word glamping before today and it won’t be part of my vocabulary in the future but glamping is actually what we do! We either travel with our fifth wheel RV or our motorhome. I like the luxuries of today compared to yesteryear’s camping on the hard ground.

We love people...in small doses, we love the convenience of our own washer/dryer and we prefer boondocking but stay in RV parks when necessary. We’re considerate of any neighbors we meet along the way and are not rude or demeaning to them even if we do not agree with their political stand or moral fabric.

I grew up in Wyoming and there is nothing better than sitting around a campfire, enjoying the evening skies with a good conversation going! Maybe that’s why boondocking appeals to us so much. As we’re in our early years of retirement, we’ll spend more time out there on the open roads and hopefully we’ll run into good people who share our same views. - Marianne

PS: By the way, no matter where we’re at or who I’m talking to, I always say...”we’re camped at such and such campground or such and such RV park or camped near the southern edge of the lake or we’re camped right off of such and such county road...so guess I’m camping...no matter how many amenities we have! [emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/22/19 04:31pm by memtb *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping or Glamping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS