RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Camping or Glamping?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping or Glamping?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All this debate over a cute adjective.

Glamping is when you go all out to be liberal with creature comforts.

Camping involves a little bit of roughing it and a nature experience.

Yes, it’s a relative term and one size does not fit all.

Pup tent vs. pop up for some. Pop up vs. Prevost for others. Dry camping at a Government park vs Urban RV park with a pool, and cheesy canopy lights. 20 gal freshwater tank and military showers or big hot water heater and spacious shower.

* This post was edited 05/27/19 05:20pm by K3WE *

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks K3WE ~~ Some words just curdle my innards ~ Takes more than a few words of 'common' sense to level me back out again.

TakeCare ~ TravelSafe ~ HaveFun

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/19 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just returned from Mule Days camping in the cow pasture.
People that tried bringing wagons across with horses had plenty of trouble and many changed over to different critters.
Mules were the fastest option. Those that could afford brought two teams and rested one each day.
Oxen were slower but very dependable. People had great affection for their oxen. Many were shod in the old days.
I was helping a friend find a team of mules this week.
One fo the great books recently is a new trip on "The Oregon Trail" by R Buck.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 05/31/19 08:12pm by CavemanCharlie *

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about we call it RV-ing.. That way we are not putting down or up anyone???

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

jims1

MS

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glamping/Camping/RVing/Camping Purist/Whatever....
I've slept in Boy Scout open floor tents, I've slept under Army poncho half tents, I've slept in mud holes and sand pits. I've walked 800-1000 miles of the Appalachian trail with a nylon tarp, blue Navy wool blanket, and hammock. We have had family size tents, to a pop-up, 24' Shasta, 32'Carrilite, 38' Carrilite and now our Mobile Suites.
So call it what you want, don't criticize others ways of being outside and enjoying their definition of nature.

Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigred1cav wrote:

We do not camp we travel. We do so in our motorhome and use it as our hotel room. We don't like NASCAR or fires creating obnoxious smoke. We dine out a lot. We like state and federal parks. Have no use for swimming pools or playgrounds. Abhor others forcing their choice of music (noise) upon us. Really don't care what your religion is and do not want to meet Jesus.

We enjoy conversations and pot lucks but do not adhere to right-wing politics and absolutely don not care if a woman has an abortion that is none of my business.

Our dogs are well kept and we pick up after them. If others were as cognizant of their children's messes it would be wonderful.

[emoticon] Nicely said.

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess
2015 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2018 Jayco Northpoint 387 RDFS
B&W companion slider.
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigred1cav wrote:

We do not camp we travel. We do so in our motorhome and use it as our hotel room. We don't like NASCAR or fires creating obnoxious smoke. We dine out a lot. We like state and federal parks. Have no use for swimming pools or playgrounds. Abhor others forcing their choice of music (noise) upon us. Really don't care what your religion is and do not want to meet Jesus.

We enjoy conversations and pot lucks but do not adhere to right-wing politics and absolutely don not care if a woman has an abortion that is none of my business.

Our dogs are well kept and we pick up after them. If others were as cognizant of their children's messes it would be wonderful.

So in our case, and compared to anyone who agrees with the above, you can figure on us disagreeing and being the opposite with almost everything said here with a few exceptions. No interest in a place that does not allow a good camp fire (best part of the evening), love grilling and cooking at the camper, we definitely clean up and control our dogs and kids, but if the kids are a bit noisy because they are having fun and running around I most certainly don't feel sorry about it and encourage as much of a mess as they can make to keep them out of the camper and off their phones and TV!. Love to play music at reasonable volumes (Key word reasonable and totally agree with crazy mud music being annoying) and love even more when a few others want to make music with instruments. Not trying to be negative about the above post, its just a great example of the fact that there is no correct answer. To each their own, but for us if we want to sit, be quiet, and keep clean we stay home. To each their own! Oh.. and wholeheartedly agree with the religion comment. Again, to each their own but keep it to yourself and dont come preach. Definitely a CAMPING bummer ;-)

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't use the word, but do remember a time when I wondered why folks would own rigs like the one we now have. I divide our trips into one of two categories, camping or travelling. In our younger days, all we had time for was camping. Local weekend trips, etc. Tents and small trailers were great at that job. However, life changed and we found ourselves often to have time to be on the road for months. At this point, we HAD to be more comfortable and thus we ended up with our coach.

Glamping? Not to me, because it isn't intended to be a form of camping. It's intended to be a private hotel. We do still use the coach for "camping". We spend local weekends in the woods and don't spend much time in it other than sleeping.

So, I see it divided by use more than equipment type.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

How about we call it RV-ing.. That way we are not putting down or up anyone???

No.

Because that's not descriptive at all...AND Camping vs Glamping is not a put down!

The thing I love about RVing is the HUGE VARIETY it offers.

Sometimes we ARE in to glamping...Fancy RV park with full hook ups and activity center and pink flamingo lights.

Other times, we are in a national forest conserving batteries and water (and yes, we don't run exterior lights except for when there's a good need).

Unfortunately there are people here who like one and can't help but look down on the other.

Other adjectives: Boondocking, dry camping, RV-park vs National park, Urban RV park, Wal-Mart-Overnighting, Beach camping, Cold camping, Snowbirding...these all describe important sub groups of RVing. Glamping is just a cute term when you go the extra yard (or mile) for fanciness and comfort.

RVing is ok as a catch-all, but it describes very little. All of the other words and adjectives tell others what you are talking about.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping or Glamping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS