RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Clear As Glass Ice Cubes?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Clear As Glass Ice Cubes?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For fun, super cooled water will turn instantly into ice.

I've experienced twice in my life, had a pitcher of water sitting in the garage when it was 20°F outside. Picked the pitcher up, and it was instant ice. 2nd time was while flying... To this day, I wonder why I was chosen to still be alive.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/19 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

Boiling water only kills the bacteria. it won't eliminate the particulates in water. That is what clouds ice cubes, the more cloudy the cubes are the more junk is in your tap water! [emoticon]

If you have tap water that filthy you have other problems in a very big way. You must have been listening to the Culligan adverts, which are as close to lies as they can get away with. I was trained as an environmental engineer if you want to question my expertise. The Culligan adverts lie in other ways, have you ever considered how stupid it is to remove Calcium and magnesium from your drinking water and add Sodium (which is supposedly bad for you). And TAKE Calcium/Magnesium pills at the same time??

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

rockhillmanor wrote:

Boiling water only kills the bacteria. it won't eliminate the particulates in water. That is what clouds ice cubes, the more cloudy the cubes are the more junk is in your tap water! [emoticon]

If you have tap water that filthy you have other problems in a very big way. You must have been listening to the Culligan adverts, which are as close to lies as they can get away with. I was trained as an environmental engineer if you want to question my expertise. The Culligan adverts lie in other ways, have you ever considered how stupid it is to remove Calcium and magnesium from your drinking water and add Sodium (which is supposedly bad for you). And TAKE Calcium/Magnesium pills at the same time??

That sounds too much like common sense, it can't be true!

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just read a Modern (meaning not written by Sir Arthur) Sherlock Holmes story "The Purloined Eggplant"
A necklace nicknamed the Eggplant necklace was stolen, Diamonds and a stone that resembles an eggplant. The necklace was sunk in a glass of punch. the punch was the same color as the "Eggplant" stone and the diamonds.. The ice in the drink.

Sherlock did not understand why the ice had sunk to the bottom But when he figured it out.. Well "Elementary" as they say.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use Reverse osmosis (RO) water. It has a membrane filter that will remove most of the dissolved solids ( minerals) I have an RO filter in my house and have debated installing on the RV but have not done it. The RO system is installed under the sink and has a separate small faucet on the counter. Most water you buy from kiosks is ROFiltered. Read the label on bottled water. Most is RO filtered .

Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

As I understand it, if you freeze the water in one direction, if gives the gasses room to escape.

See here for one way to do this, he used regular tap water.

clicky

Sorry I'm on my phone, can't make it a click.

Has anyone watched this?

clicky

Is it fake, if so, how?

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess I will need to give that a try when I get back from the next trip.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like it works. I’m going to try this.

I’ll report back. Hold your breath.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 11:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad

wrote:

Not sure of the point but boiling the water first, will help assure it is safer to drink.

Esp in Mexico...[emoticon]

96Bounder30E

America is my home!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/19 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

My dad was a Culligan installer/field tech for 37 years before retiring....

I heard him say for years and years and years and more years.... Soft water was never meant to be drinking water.... I'm really surprised with your training that you didn't know that....

He always said soft water is a wonderful thing... But you can't drink it... You must add a RO unit or buy bottled water....

My 30 year old softener recently gave our... (parts are no longer available)... I had no problem shelling out the 3K for a new culligan.... But for drinking water my culligan RO is priceless...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Clear As Glass Ice Cubes?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS