RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Clear As Glass Ice Cubes?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Clear As Glass Ice Cubes?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the most part, away from some of the big blue cities anyway, municipal drinking water. The stuff the city pipes to your house. Is perfectly safe, it is frequently tested for 126+ pollutants. The hardness is adjusted. The water is filtered and chlorinated. Chlorine levels are frequently checked in the pipes far from the treatment plant. And the USEPA and state environmental (again most of them) agencies watch this very closely. The lab workers and the guys running the plant are certified individually and are required to take classes to keep up with reg changes. The water labs are required to pass blind samples and the labs are physically inspected by on site inspection teams. They also go over all the required paperwork and it is a bunch of paper.

How do I know this? I was a Lab Technical Director that went thru all this. The books of regulations that we had to follow in minute detail were when stacked up are about 18 inches high. And we had to watch the Federal Register for any rule changes.

How much of this happens with your RO unit???

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Magnesium? I remember in one ER a doctor remarked "Why are you requesting a magnesium count on your blood labs? Magnesium is the most abundant element on earth!"

Magnesium stopped my atrial fibrillation episodes and I had run out in Mexico. A week after heading for the USA I found myself in the Sebastopol CA hospital. For AFIB.

Two hours later the doctor returned with my labs, "One?!? he commented. How can you have a '1'?" (Normal is six to 9). He handed me an Rx for 200 mg of magnesium. I chucked the sheaf of cardiac Rx's into waste can then ordered 4,000 tablets of Magnesium Oxide 500 mg. on Amazon. Since I had a 3-lead pacemaker implanted 2 years ago, I still am fearful of stopping the magnesium.

When I had labs done here in Mexico on my dime ($11.00 us) magnesium was a solid '7' but I take the supplement every other day. I have been consuming purified water R/O for almost thirty years.

I have learned a lesson. Have labs report on magnesium and potassium. USA doctors would spot low levels immediately but few blood labs include these tests. Removing natural magnesium and potassium further by filtration would be a mistake. But potassium supplements are uselessly tiny. Drink orange juice and eat bananas.

Useless info? I have had FOUR people write me with thanks and say magnesium supplements utterly stopped their AFIB episodes.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder what happens if you fill a pitcher with water and set it in the refrigerator for a day or so to let any air dissipate before freezing.

I wonder if the boiling theory is saying that the hot water will freeze faster than the cold water which somehow contributes to clear ice?

Just thinking now, this sounds like a perfect science fair experiment for a kid. Do different waters make different opacity ice cubes?

As far as soft water, I have it in my house and would never be without. But I definitely don't like the taste nor the idea of the added salt. So I ran a separate line for the cold water from before the softener to the kitchen faucet which also feeds the ice maker. It was probably $50 in pipe and a few hours time.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gasses do NOT 'dissipate' from a bottle of water. They will enter equilibrium state with the concentration of air around 35-45 ppm. Depends on temp. How would fish survive in a still pond otherwise??

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hot water will lose heat faster than cold water. (It has more heat to lose)
It does not freeze solid any faster than a equal amount of cold water when placed in the freezer at the same time

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

Hot water will lose heat faster than cold water. (It has more heat to lose)
It does not freeze solid any faster than a equal amount of cold water when placed in the freezer at the same time

Rather amazingly this is not the case. I would have agreed with you not so long ago but then the Mpenda Effect happened. Some youngster actually tested this and got people to listen to his results.

Any chemist will tell you that water is a very strange material that behaves in a way that is the opposite of what is expected. Ice floats for example, not the normal. If not for this Oddity Life would not exist here.

* This post was edited 06/07/19 05:44pm by agesilaus *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Clear As Glass Ice Cubes?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS