|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> replacement tire suggestions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Brian in Michigan

S.E. Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 19.5's on mine. Before I put the Hankooks on it, I was running Kelly Springfields. Never knew how rough the Kellys were til I put on the Hankooks. The Kelly's were a full 8R and I ran them a 75 psi. They were about 2" taller than the Hankook's. When I put the Hankook's on they are a 70 series tire I found that my speedometer was now at the correct speed and I run them at 90 psi and they still run smoother than the Kelly's ever did. The model that I have is an AH11 tire which i believe they don't make anymore.

1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

Bill Hamilton

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/19 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. I stayed with the Toyo M 136 tires.

2006 Safari Simba
Gone 2005 31W Fleetwod Tioga SL - Not my problem anymore!
1996 Jeep Cherokee Toad

cbr46

Flowery Branch, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just ordered a set of Hankook A11/DH07s for my 2002 F53. I was focused on Sumitomo but the winner didn't carry those (or Toyo). Safety might be king but it always comes at a price. Does that mean a mid-priced tire is unsafe? I think not. How about a bottom priced tire?

The selling dealer installed Dynatrac tires in 2013. Probably can't get much cheaper than those. Last week I was coming back from an 850 mile trip (one way) when the almost broke exhaust broke off dumping exhaust gasses onto the rear set. I checked tire temps along the way and the highest the tread got was 150F vs 120F on the other side. While nervous I continued on.

I will say Oklahoma has some of the roughest interstate I've ever driven. I'm sure there's worse, but OK is not ok. W AR wasn't much better. Oh, and US78 heading East out of Memphis too. Worst part of that leg is there's a bypass around the sketchy part (road and neighborhood).

I made it home without incident. The rear tire looked low so I checked pressures - 120 on the outside and 0 on the inside. There's no telling how long I was driving like that but I thank God for getting me home. I still won't buy a Chinese tire but these gave me a renewed respect for some Chinese brands. Which ones are maypops will always be a question.

I looked at some etailers as well as a few local recommended shops. I chose Akins Ford Auto / Truck dealership in Winder GA. They quoted a TOTAL price including local and federal taxes, mount, balance, disposal. The other shops were going to charge extra for everything but the tires. Moral is don't discount the auto dealers. They can have some good deals on tires.

All I have to do now is limp to the dealership. Prayers said and fingers crossed!

BTW, the broken exhaust was from a cone I grazed somewhere in NC (I think). It bent the pipe into the tire. I straighten the pipe and installed a sleeve over it. The sleeve kept loosening and I kept tightening but it was clear it wasn't going to be a permanent solution. It's fixed properly with a new piece now. Funny how some things get prioritized to the top.

I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their tire choice experiences. It really helps!

Best,
- bob

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tires I use are best................Grin

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> replacement tire suggestions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS