|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> WiFi Boosters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the latest on WiFi boosters? Anyone have good or bad experiences with them? I see many new higher end coaches are coming with them. Reading the reviews on Amazon, PCMag and CNet, I see almost as many people who don't like them as think they are great. Some of these devices have to wire direct via USB to your computer, some are stand alone, some have rooftop antennas, some don't.. If one works, I'd like to permanently install it in our motorhome. So many different types out there it's beyond confusing.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Winegard roof top Antenna WIFI system works great. It works 2 ways.
1. Takes the local WIFI and rebroadcasts it in the area in and around your RV
2. You can also get an "aircard" from your Cell phone provider and THAT gets the 4G and rebroadcasts it inside your RV and outside also. This is for when in transit or you are not close to a WIFI signal. Doug

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget that it won't help speed up the local campground wifi, it will only help you access it more reliably.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see Winegard has 2 different systems. A "dome" type and a 3 antenna one. Are they basically the same thing?

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We permanently installed the WeBoost in our FW and there's an antenna mounted to the roof. It works. As the name implies, it boosts what little signal is there. If no signal, it won't work. As opposed to a mifi - that you pay service for, you don't have to pay service on the WeBoost.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

We permanently installed the WeBoost in our FW and there's an antenna mounted to the roof. It works. As the name implies, it boosts what little signal is there. If no signal, it won't work. As opposed to a mifi - that you pay service for, you don't have to pay service on the WeBoost.

Is there a new version out that does WiFi? WeBoost that I am aware of boosts/repeats cell signal.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AllegroD wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

Is there a new version out that does WiFi? WeBoost that I am aware of boosts/repeats cell signal.

Not sure The dome is $369 and the 3 antenna one is $750. Doug

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

AllegroD wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

Not sure The dome is $369 and the 3 antenna one is $750. Doug

Doug, Yes. Winegard has those out. My question was to the quoted from ReneeG. I thought WeBoost was only cell repeater.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary,

WeBoost are great, but they are only for cellphone signals.

If you are trying to do better with campground WiFi, the first thing to do is to look at the signal strength display on your device. If it is more than one bar, the booster will only serve to frustrate you. If there is signal, but no bandwidth (speed) then the system is overloaded. Most are most of the time.

If signal strength is a problem and you are not a homesteader, then look up Alfa 036(XXX) units on Ebay. They are inexpensive and very portable.

If you really need wire (internet), then you really should investigate cell service.

Do I need to say BTDT???

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I currently use a Ubiquiti Nanostation combined with an Air Cube router for WiFi. At Quartzsite, I was able to connect to the local Pilot close to a mile away. The Nanostation does require a bit of configuration - a useful YouTube post explains setting it up is at the Outside Our Bubble website..

As others have said, the biggest problem with WiFi is usually the available bandwidth. I do use the Nanostation at places where there is WiFi but no cell coverage, but like others, prefer a Jetpack or Mobley using Verizon or AT&T.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> WiFi Boosters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS