RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: 5th wheel or TT?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 5th wheel or TT?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One consideration is what do you want to pull it with? I think the TT option gives you a few options that you don’t get with 5th wheel.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience has shown that a 5th wheel sacrifices some fuel mileage (frontal area) for much more stable towing experience. I don't have a strong preference, but I doubt I'd go back to any ball hitch trailer after a few thousand miles pulling my fifth wheel. I have never pulled a 30'+ travel trailer but if one that long started misbehaving, you'd be in for a wild ride. The 5er stays firmly planted no matter what.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TT or 5er? 2007
5er v TT Aug2011
5er v TT Oct2014
5er vs TT June 2016

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Backing a Ball mount/TT is "EASIER" but that's where the advantage ENDS!

TT's are prone to sway unless you have PLENTY of truck. 5er's tow like they are not back there.

MUCH more storage in a 5er. OH, TT people will say OMG there are stairs inside! What the HE!! do ya think you are climbing into each one???

List goes on and on.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do yourself a favor and do a search for bucking and chucking.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

I have had both. First TT was in 1980's. Get a GOOD TT hitch like an Hensley or a ProPride. Sure they cost $ but not much more than a 5er hitch.

With a cheep TT hitch and a poorly loaded TT (yes I have had each) there will be lots of White Knuckle Events while towing.

With a good TT hitch there is really no reason to choose between a 5er and TT. They tow about the same. Each takes about the same time to "learn" how to hook up and back up.

On one trip with my Hensley Arrow a wheel can off my TT while I was driving 70 MPH. I did not know it until a car pass me and flagged me down.

Have to agree with this (except for the driving 70), but we too have had both. We purchased a fifth wheel for the room versus the overall length. Our last TT was a 32' Komfort and we purchased a Hensley Arrow to tow it. Made a HUGE difference. When we traded in the TT for our FW, we also traded in our Arrow for the Hensley TrailerSaver BD3 and they mean it when they say it is a trailer saver. It controls the chucking, but then our FW has the suspension to assist with this too. As for backing. I tried to do the backing, but never mastered it, as DH has. The response is slower, but once you get the hang of it as far as turning and backing you'll get it. We went to a school parking lot and practiced with cones.

With a TT, you have the bed of a truck and with a FW, you lose a good portion of the bed, but still have some room for cargo.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big steve, you're running the gamut here on RV types. Based on your questions, you don't have much if any experience with large vehicles, towing, etc.

If that assumption is correct, or even if incorrect, first think about "how" you plan on using the RV.
Touring the country weeks or months at a time? Few trips to the state park up the road a year? Destination camper, go somewhere, park the RV and stay a while? Driving to get somewhere (main highways/freeways primarily) or like to get off the beaten path (county roads, forest roads)? Terrain, driving around the flat part of the country or headed straight up the side of the first mountain you see? Bringing a golf cart/wheeler/SxS or bikes?

Once you've decided how you plan on using the RV, that will help decide which type offers the most conveniences and least downsides.

Back to your actual question, I'd finger out if you're comfortable hooking a big trailer, any type and taking off down the road, rush hour traffic, backing into or out of tight spots. Bumper pull or 5th wheel both require some skill that you'll have to acquire.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Backing a Ball mount/TT is "EASIER" but that's where the advantage ENDS!

TT's are prone to sway unless you have PLENTY of truck. 5er's tow like they are not back there.

MUCH more storage in a 5er. OH, TT people will say OMG there are stairs inside! What the HE!! do ya think you are climbing into each one???

List goes on and on.

Lol! You couldn’t be more wrong on all accounts but please, go on and on and enlighten us. I’ve owned four 5th wheels. Never have had a problem with sway, stairs, backing or lack of enough truck with a TT or 5th wheel. Maybe you’re doing it wrong. [emoticon]

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 103k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My choice is a TT due to the height of 5ers and my camping style.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/19 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends what you want .I got them both and I will never buy a TT.FW tow safer and it have more storage outside.The only disadvantage for me is that it cost more.

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 5th wheel or TT?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS