|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cat Scale Results

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you who are into numbers I went to the Cat scales with our rig finally for the first time with this truck and trailer combo.

I went to the scale with just my truck and then about an hour or so later with our fifth when we were on our way to campground for the weekend. These are the results that I pulled from the tickets with the truck and fifth fully loaded with wife, me, and all our normal gear with the exception of our aluminum bikes that normally go in the back seat of the truck: Note my wife (140#) was not along for the ride on the solo run.

- My truck empty but with full tank diesel, B&W Patriot slider (221#), me (215#) is 8100#

- Factory dry weight of fifth is 9020# and pin of 1510# with a GVWR of 11,900#

- Loaded fifth weight of 10,700# and a pin of 2040# putting it 1200# under it's GVWR.

- My truck is 280# over its weight rating of 10,000# although I'm not concerned as I am under my axle and tire ratings

- Drive axle loaded with fifth 5540#, rated for 6200# and tire rating of 3525# or 7050# total

- Steer axle under by 420# (5200# rating)

My truck landed about where I thought it would but I was surprised at how much cargo ## that we have, I would have guessed around 1000# and I didn't carry any water with us either. I'm just glad we have a healthy cargo capacity on our fifth.

Although I feel very comfortable towing with it and am satisfied with what Cat scale results were, my next truck if it ends up a diesel again will be a SRW 350/3500 even though it is highly unlikely we will ever move on to something bigger due to campground site sizes.

Dan

[image]

2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So your truck has 1,900 pounds of payload and with the wife on board, you're overloaded by over 400 pounds--over 20% of your payload capacity.

Why is your truck itself so heavy? Can you move load to the trailer? Mine weighs 7,100. I know newer trucks are heavier, but where did they put the extra thousand pounds?

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

So your truck has 1,900 pounds of payload and with the wife on board, you're overloaded by over 400 pounds--over 20% of your payload capacity.

Why is your truck itself so heavy? Can you move load to the trailer? Mine weighs 7,100. I know newer trucks are heavier, but where did they put the extra thousand pounds?

Actually my truck weighs in at 7534# dry i'm assuming because I have 2466# payload according to the door sticker. The 8100# on the scale ticket is with Me, hitch, and full tank of diesel, that comes off the stated payload leaving me with the 1900# left over. Short of moving my wife to riding in the fifth I can't shift anything to the fifth and I don't think she would go for that ;-)

Dan

Edit: Now that I think about it I wonder if the door sticker includes a full tank of fuel? Me = 215#, hitch = 221#, 36 gallons fuel = 280# plus I added running boards and spray in bedliner, all that should be around 850# I would think but yet it scaled at 8100#. Who knows...[emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/23/19 09:42am by Hammerboy *

kmac7800

Richland

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought I read somewhere that they weigh the truck with a full tank of fuel and 1 avg human as the driver before calculating that trucks payload capacity to put on the sticker in the door. This was GM specific where I read it.

Take it with a grain of salt, as I read it on the internet, and we know how accurate that can be...

//KMac

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

twodownzero wrote:

Actually my truck weighs in at 7534# dry i'm assuming because I have 2466# payload according to the door sticker. The 8100# on the scale ticket is with Me, hitch, and full tank of diesel, that comes off the stated payload leaving me with the 1900# left over. Short of moving my wife to riding in the fifth I can't shift anything to the fifth and I don't think she would go for that ;-)

Dan

Edit: Now that I think about it I wonder if the door sticker includes a full tank of fuel? Me = 215#, hitch = 221#, 36 gallons fuel = 280# plus I added running boards and spray in bedliner, all that should be around 850# I would think but yet it scaled at 8100#. Who knows...[emoticon]

Something doesn't seem right about that. The "curb weight" my my truck was within 20 pounds of the actual weighed weight, and that includes a full tank of diesel. What kind of truck is it?

Your "payload" number should include all the options the truck has and full of fuel. While it's hard to argue with a weight ticket, 8100 pounds for a truck with one person and a trailer hitch in it sounds high to me. Like I said, new trucks are heavy, but my Ram weighs 7,080 and my hitch is ~180 pounds. If your truck is a long bed, I'd estimate another 300 pounds for that. Even then though, why is your truck so heavy?

Certainly the running boards and bedliner add a bit, but as trucks get heavier empty, they sure suck up GVWR pretty quickly. I'm wondering if the 3/4 ton truck is going to become completely extinct if they can't figure out how to put them on a diet!

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

His profile shows, 2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I know is my GVWR is 10,000 and a door sticker that says 2466# payload, If payload is figured with a full tank of fuel then it adds up perfectly because me, hitch, aftermarket accessories bring usable payload down to 1900#. I know this truck is a bit heavier than my 2004 Duramax, but that one only had 9200# GVWR.

* This post was edited 05/24/19 08:31pm by an administrator/moderator *

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I calculate a pin weight percentage at 19 percent. On the low side for a 5th wheel.

If you have any bucking or chucking you may need to transfer weight for a higher pin weight percentage.

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

twodownzero wrote:

Dan

Your 7534 curb weight is based on all fluids full which includes fuel. Add you and hitch and you’re pretty close to 8100

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In some instances the GVWR is edited by the manufacturer to keep the truck within certain registration limits (in states where tags are priced by weight).

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cat Scale Results
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS