RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Best diesel pusher chassis ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Best diesel pusher chassis ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
paddock_rat

Do Not Understand

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good clarification. That said, the point I was trying to make and did not do very clearly is that I don't think 10 airbags is necessarily better than 8, sold front axles included.

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/19 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My vote goes for NEWELL [emoticon]

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10+ years ago I looked at a F or maybe S bare chassis with IFS. I counted 16 additional pivots/moving parts over a solid axle... no thanks. I believe someone has put the steering gear box in the middle of the IFS reducing the count by 5. so only 11additional...still no thanks. The good news is most will never put enough miles to where the additional parts will need replacing.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

10+ years ago I looked at a F or maybe S bare chassis with IFS. I counted 16 additional pivots/moving parts over a solid axle... no thanks. I believe someone has put the steering gear box in the middle of the IFS reducing the count by 5. so only 11additional...still no thanks. The good news is most will never put enough miles to where the additional parts will need replacing.

On the bold part above, that kind of makes it a complete non-issue then, doesn't it? [emoticon]

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

paddock_rat

Do Not Understand

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you are advocating for a solid steer axles vs. IFS because of fewer moving parts? I am old enough to remember solid front axles on the Dodge M-series chassis as well as the Rockwell front axle used on vintage Newells and I believe on older Prevosts.

On the bigger coaches of the mid-to-late 1970s (like a 1976 Executive) with the Dodge chassis, unless an aftermarket Positrol spring-loaded front suspension stabilizer was added, crossing railroad tracks often induced a front end shimmy that required stopping and starting again. The Rockwell axles axles required the bearing to be repacked on a scheduled basis. After Rockwell went to oiled front axle bearings, oil would seep out in hot weather at highway speeds, never enough to cause a mechanical issue but unsightly to be sure.

The IFS systems were much more maintenance free right from their introduction on motorhomes, they ride and steer better, and they allow for a greater steering cut angle for a shorter turning radius. The next steps include computer controlled active suspension, active tag axle steering, and Dana electric column drive steering. But as I recall, this thread started with the search for a great used coach, so that last good stuff may have to wait.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Best diesel pusher chassis ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS