|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy DEF system failure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
HuckleberryHunter

Issaquah, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just sharing for other's reference.

I own a 2016 2500HD diesel. It currently has 40k miles on the OD. Two days ago the check engine light came on. I checked the error code and it came back as a DEF system error (P21DD). I took it to the dealer on Wed morning to have it checked out. It took all day for them to get back to me, but the guy said that it's the DEF tank heater failed and it's a common issue. The parts are on backorder and it could take a month to get them in, so to drive it as is until then. He did say it might go into 'limp' mode at some point. I asked why it takes so long to get parts if these systems are a common issue. He didn't know.

The good news is that the repair is covered under some type of warranty....either emissions or drive train...or both. The guy also wasn't quite sure how that all fit together either. I asked about longevity of the repair and he said it would be covered under a parts warranty for a period of time....which I'm sure is less than 40k miles. It does make me leery of future failures though, but I bought the truck knowing the DEF was likely a PIA, so guess I'll deal with it as it comes.

He did say that GM will be removing the DEF systems on future vehicles because of all the problems they create. I would like to know where he got his information as I've not been able to find any evidence that supports that happening via a web search.

2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

Flan

NE

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DEF is going nowhere anytime soon.

Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

ib516

Canada - soon to be Costa Rica

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's the reason I bought a gasser 2500 last time I bought new. That was 2014, and the DEF & DPF systems still had bugs. The emissions junk the new diesels are saddled with are ruining the reliability and making the prospect of any repair a potentially expensive process.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

honda1

paola kansas

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2011 chevy 2500 hd at 49000 def fluid bad came on took to dealer was under g m extended warranty for 11 & 12s , or about 1.5 years left , same thing bad tank heater & 1 nox sensor replaced asked how much would it cost if not under warranty , $1,000 ..

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2013 had the same issue, I drove it for two months until the new DEF tank arrived. The truck never went into limp mode.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and these and other problems with add on epa stuff is why I drive a gaser. used to love the old 7.3

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a good idea to get a good scan tool that can read the error code and clear the CEL, I have a Edge insight on mine and it works great. I can monitor soot level and even force a regen, mine will automatically regen when it hits 43 grams of soot. If the soot level is getting high and I know I will be driving long enough to burn it out I will start a manual regen.

smithrjd

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, my 2014 did the same thing. Replaced the tank and heater.Covered by GM, it was just out of warrenty, and had to pay $850 to replace one of the sensors. All is good now, but I was Pi**ed at the cost.

Labman7

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2015 had the issue last fall while on vacation. Stopped at a GMC dealer in Detroit Lakes, MN for them to check the CEL. Said needed to replace tank. Took them about 3 hours and we were back on the road. They said they keep them in stock since there is a TSB on them and they get a couple a month to replace. It seems the rural dealers who sell a lot of diesels to farmers tend to have a better handle on the known issues.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel Exhaust Fluid is not being phased out or going anywhere. It is here to stay and so are the issues with it.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy DEF system failure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.