|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy DEF system failure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a big deal, get it fixed and you probably won't have an issue for a long time. Or if you don't want to deal with next time, delete it. You don't need to emissions it.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

leggy

Montrose Pa

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 03:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2014 F-350 threw the same code, however I was told it would not be covered by warranty. I drove for another year and a half with no issue.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

leggy wrote:

My 2014 F-350 threw the same code, however I was told it would not be covered by warranty. I drove for another year and a half with no issue.

My 2011 F350 had the issue and I drove it like that for a year but I thought it seemed as though it didnt have full power. I found out what the resistance of a DEF heater is and installed the appropriate resistor across the circuit. After installing the resistor the power was immediately restored.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Sport45

Not far enough from Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

and these and other problems with add on epa stuff is why I drive a gaser. used to love the old 7.3

Your gasser has plenty of “add on epa stuff” too. The tech has just been refined enough over the years that we don’t notice it as much now. In the 70’s I happily removed the cat and replaced it with a “test pipe”. I wouldn’t even consider doing something like that today. I do wonder though how our Edge EcoBoost would drive with no cares about NOX and other emissions. I bet it would be fun. [emoticon]

1320Fastback wrote:

Diesel Exhaust Fluid is not being phased out or going anywhere. It is here to stay and so are the issues with it.

The issues with DEF are slowly going away. Each new year model seems to have less emissions related troubles than previous models. I believe diesel emissions technology now is where gasoline emissions tech was in the mid-eighties.

’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Esacnj

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same thing with my 2015 3500 @ 27000 miles. There is a GM letter warranting it now for 10 yr. 120000 miles. Dealer told me would take 1 week to get tank. It took over 3 weeks. I contacted GM hot line. They offered me $750 worth of accessories or 1 yr, free onstar for my inconvenience. I asked dealer why they don't stock a couple since it is now a known problem. They said GM won't send them for stock since they can't produce enough fast enough.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Esacnj wrote:

Same thing with my 2015 3500 @ 27000 miles. There is a GM letter warranting it now for 10 yr. 120000 miles. Dealer told me would take 1 week to get tank. It took over 3 weeks. I contacted GM hot line. They offered me $750 worth of accessories or 1 yr, free onstar for my inconvenience. I asked dealer why they don't stock a couple since it is now a known problem. They said GM won't send them for stock since they can't produce enough fast enough.

When there's a widespread problem it's tough for the component manufacturers to meet the demand of new production plus replacement parts. It took forever to get a good water pump in my Ram after the recall was issued.

I'd love to delete my truck but I'm in an emission county so it would be more hassle than it's worth. Knock on wood but so far no emission related issues on my truck after 4 years and 50k+ miles.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

problem is that the def heater failed. Won't cause any problems as long as temps are above freezing. Don't know the effect if below freezing.

On GM, at least my 2015 it is covered for 150K miles or IIRC 12 years. Mine failed, have a good dealer. They had parts on hand, knew exactly what to do, scheduled an appt and it was done in 3 hours.

DEF is NOT going away anytime soon. It is used not only on trucks but almost all Power plants using NG or diesel as well as well as other applications to reduce NO2 emissions.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

HuckleberryHunter

Issaquah, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As much as I'd like to delete the DEF system I won't be doing it anytime soon for a few reason. One, we live in an emissions regulated area, at least for now. However, I've read that WA is ending the emissions check program in 2020, so happy to hear that.

Additionally, removing the DEF system voids any GM warranties as well, so not going to mess with that until the warranty period is completely up. I've read that it's in the $1K ballpark to get repairs done on this out of pocket, which is about the cost of deleting the system, so would defiantly delete it vs. repair it if I ever get in that situation.

As for the extended warranty, I've read multiple accounts of the GM letter extending coverage out to the 120k miles, but I have not received any such letter and the guy at the dealership couldn't find evidence that GM did this for the 2016. He did say that it's covered under the powertrain warranty though, which is 100k. I'm a bit skeptical as I haven't seen that in writing either and this is the same guy who said DEF is going away.....

I think I'm more shocked about the inability to get parts rapidly. I haven't had exactly great service from this dealership in the past, so I'm not surprised they don't have the experience or the supplies on hand. Due to the nature of the problem, I doubt it'll directly effect me as it's approaching summer here and the temps are fairly warm. It's more the premise that bothers me. Doubt this is specific to GM, but sure feel like the customer service on their end has been crummy for a while now.

I bought the truck because I've been a long time Chevy owner and overall am happy with the vehicle. It'd sure be a better experience if GM stood behind their products a little more though.
The bumper to bumper warranty expired at 36K miles and when I discovered a leak in the cab at 36,150 that had obviously been going on a while they said "tough luck" as it was out of warranty.
For now I'm still feeling lucky they're going to repair the DEF issue under warranty and it's drivable while I wait.

2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep your DEF diesel guys. Lets try and do our part to save the planet for our grand kids. Every little bit helps.

Esacnj

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since this is not a recall, I asked my dealer for a copy of the extended coverage letter which they did give to me so I can keep it in the truck if needed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy DEF system failure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS