|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Mechanically Challenged RVer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few words about those of us who are not mechanics and tend to run the other way from some of the posts which imply that almost anyone can do such and such themselves. We have RVed with different types of RV's for over 40 years and there's always something not working or needing repaired or replaced. We do very little of it ourselves. Learned a lot and we can winterize and use Google to figure out some things but mostly depend on RV shops or mobile repair. So, I'm saying don't let a lack of skill keep you from enjoying the pastime. It can be costly so don't get into it if you never have some "extra money" or can responsibly use your credit card. Whatever goes wrong, there's always someone who can fix it.

Jayco-noslide

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Voltmeter and learn how to use it.....even if you can not FIX the problem you can help to ID the issue.

Service Manuals for the specific Brand/Model of appliance will help 'understand' how things work.

It really is just doing a little research and reading up on a subject.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DIY RV mechanics are broken into 2 groups - those that do it to save money and those that simply enjoy doing it.

I am a fairly handy guy and have tackled many things on our various RV's. That said, there is a LOT I leave to the professionals.

If you are in the camp of having others do the work, 2 critical pieces - find a shop you can trust and does good work, and be prepared to pay - sometimes a LOT. Pretty simple, but I would agree, don't let RV's be intimidating. Technically you don't need to tackle anything yourself, but having someone else do it costs money.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have deep pockets, you can certainly farm everything out but it will cost a pretty penny.

I suspect the vast majority do the simple stuff themselves and learn enough to be knowledgeable when farming out tasks.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also make this be part of the thought process when buying a unit. The more complicated it is, the more will need fixed, and the more the repairs will cost. Also, learn how to manually do things like open the slide so that if you have an issue, you can still finish your trip and enjoy yourself.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

Whatever goes wrong, there's always someone who can fix it.
Maybe.. depends on how close you are to that someone. I would never, and have never, trusted any mechanic or shop to do any electrical work. They simply don't know what they're doing. Turning wrenches..that's different.

* This post was edited 05/24/19 09:52am by 2oldman *

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

DIY RV mechanics are broken into 2 groups - those that do it to save money and those that simply enjoy doing it. I'm in both groups. [emoticon]

I am a fairly handy guy and have tackled many things on our various RV's. That said, there is a LOT I leave to the professionals. X2

If you are in the camp of having others do the work, 2 critical pieces - find a shop you can trust and does good work, and be prepared to pay - sometimes a LOT. Pretty simple, but I would agree, don't let RV's be intimidating. Technically you don't need to tackle anything yourself, but having someone else do it costs money. Good advice.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The key IMO is to know when not to do it yourself.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do some things myself. Others I have a friend do while I watch and learn. Others I take in.

If I take it in, I have learned several things that pretty much guarantee good service and customer satisfaction:

1. I look for a possible diagnosis first. If I have a reasonable idea walking in of what is wrong, I find I am less likely to be told a bunch of hogwash (this may be a woman customer thing).

2. When I find a good honest shop, I stick with them.

3. I'm reasonable in my expectations. I don't expect immediate service - there are other customers ahead of me and there may be one right after with an emergency. If I know I don't need the RV for three weeks, I tell the shop that. Tha allows them to take care of the fulltimer who just broke down on the way through town as quickly as possible. And that results in the shop not seeing me as a problem customer. They are more likely to round down on costs, give me options, and work around my needs, etc.

4. No matter what goes wrong, I don't take it out on the shop staff. They always comment that no matter what goes wrong, I walk in there happy and smiling - that makes a difference. If they cross a problem that's not easily solvable, they put more effort into finding the solution when I'm not harrassing them.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is very little on this RV that I can't fix.. but there is much I do not care to fix.

Had one shop charge me for like 4 hours labor on a job I could have done in 30 minutes.. If I'd have had a place to do it.

I have no idea what took the idiot so long to remove a bolt but I could have done it in minutes.. Oh well. I;ve done it in the past.

The moral.. If you know how long a job should take. You know when you are getting ripped off.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Mechanically Challenged RVer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS