|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Mechanically Challenged RVer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The older I get, the less I do myself.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/19 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The older I get, the more I find I can do for myself. At least those things that do not require strength, agility or working on the roof of an RV.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

A few words about those of us who are not mechanics and tend to run the other way from some of the posts which imply that almost anyone can do such and such themselves. We have RVed with different types of RV's for over 40 years and there's always something not working or needing repaired or replaced. We do very little of it ourselves. Learned a lot and we can winterize and use Google to figure out some things but mostly depend on RV shops or mobile repair. So, I'm saying don't let a lack of skill keep you from enjoying the pastime. It can be costly so don't get into it if you never have some "extra money" or can responsibly use your credit card. Whatever goes wrong, there's always someone who can fix it.

Suggest you also look at Good Sam Emergency Roadside Service. After you break down, they will tow you to a qualified RV shop who can fix your RV. Been a member for 29 years[emoticon]

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

Suggest you also look at Good Sam Emergency Roadside Service. After you break down, they will tow you to a qualified RV shop who can fix your RV. Been a member for 29 years[emoticon]

Also look at CoachNet.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You Tube is your friend. When you don't know or are not sure YouTube will almost certainly help

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/19 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco,

You do realize that many of us were born knowing all this stuff.
RIGHT [emoticon][emoticon]

First, the choice of not having slides was a good one.

Second, not doing things that you don't know how to do will keep you out of trouble.

Third, you seem to be literate and I would guess have an IQ over 80...
That may put you ahead of the people that you might have to pay to do some things.

You said that you learned how to winterize the unit. That is a very good start. That proves that there is more that you can do. So, collect all the documentation for the unit and everything installed or regularly carried. In your spare time, pick up the binder that you put all of that in and read one. If there is some that recently required attention, read that one first and look at the bill. Many of the better manuals have trouble shooting trees in them. If you can understand them, you are halfway there.

Next, buy a tool box that fits someplace convenient in the unit. Buy a collection of tools that you feel you can use. If they don't even cover the bottom of the tool box, that will be a good start. Next time something needs help, look at the book and see if you can figure it out. If no, no loss. But, if yes, think of what you may have just saved.

I do all my own work. Right now, my own coach is up on stands in my barn because it needs some attention. This is kind of a special case because it is a vintage classic and the nearest place that might get it right is 130 miles away. But, the real reason I do my own work is not just to save time and money, it is to get it done right the first time. If it isn't right, I don't have to take it back, either.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Katdaddy

Petal, MS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/19 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YouTube and this forum are your friends. A lot of projects are scary, until you watch someone else do it and see how simple it really is.

Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/19 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco - No Slide, My towed just gave up the ghost after 240,000 miles. I rebuilt my first chevy six in 1949, I was 9 years old but a couple of months ago when the Suzi gave up and had two pistons at the top of their cylinders, I called a young friend who is working on his ASC license and after talking to him and knowing we didn't have the space to do the repairs and that I can no longer do them, I sold the Suzi and I'm looking for a better(hard to find) towed.

You sound like you know where you're at and I think you're going to profit in the long run.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/19 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco - No Slide, My towed just gave up the ghost after 240,000 miles. I rebuilt my first chevy six in 1949, I was 9 years old but a couple of months ago when the Suzi gave up and had two pistons at the top of their cylinders, I called a young friend who is working on his ASC license and after talking to him and knowing we didn't have the space to do the repairs and that I can no longer do them, I sold the Suzi and I'm looking for a better(hard to find) towed.

You sound like you know where you're at and I think you have profited in the long run.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/19 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is always something new to learn. The past few weeks I have been learning roof top AC. Thoroughly cleaned it & changed out the fan motor. Not hard but hot up there on a sunny day. Hate to think what a repair place would havecharged.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Mechanically Challenged RVer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS