|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> MH trip to Keys & New Orlean lessons

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
AikenRacer

Aiken, S.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are just a couple of comments and observations from our recent trip.
1) Love bugs can cause real damage to a mh front. $2,000
2) Gas stations in the Keys are not mh friendly.
3) Venture Out in Cudjoe Key is not dog friendly even though they tell you they are.
4) The beaches in the Keys stink. All of them! Due to seaweed. Some were even trashed with litter. You pay to enter all of them also.
5) Key West is a tourist trap. You pay dearly for a parking spot for your vehicle.
6) Sloppy Joes has the best margaritas.
7) Mel Fisher museum and Hemmingway house were great.
8) Car manufacturers can save money by eliminating blinkers since very few people use them.
9) States should recycle speed limit signs since very few pay any attention to them.
10) New Orleans stinks literally! Graphiti everywhere. Everyone after your dollar. Will never go back there!
11) Pat Obriens in the Quarter has great Hurricanes.
Overall a good 3 week trip but now can say been there done that.

2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not so encouraging but a Good Hurricane( drink that is) makes it all better!!????

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you need to expand on items 3 and 10. we're planning a quick stop in NOLA to see the WWII museum this winter on our way out west.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to the Keys for the LAST time back in the 90's. It was basically the same then.
The Hurricane drink at Pat Obrians used to allow you to keep the glass.
Some people, me included, find that putting a light coat of Vasaline on the front end of the coach helps. Even then you can't leave the bugs stay on the front end too long. Others have sprayed the front end with the no-stick baking PAM. I have not tried that so can't comment on it's use.

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Orleans is the best spot in the country for many things, cleanliness is not one of them. Enjoying places and people is a matter of perspective. Some ask, "what's the big deal?" when they see the Grand Canyon. Is NYC not worth visiting because its crowded?

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/19 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Is NYC not worth visiting because it’s crowded” - Maybe not for being crowded, but just for being NYC.

“New Orleans stinks literally” - Have to agree, especially on weekends, and when there’s a festival. Even when no ones there, walking down the street you get a strong smell of stale beer, previously consumed (yet did not set well) beer mixed with shrimp, and worse, urine.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/19 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Number 6 and 10 are important to know!
Number 10, I agree but I will be back.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Songbirds

Whereever I lay my head

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AikenRacer wrote:

Here are just a couple of comments and observations from our recent trip.
1) Love bugs can cause real damage to a mh front. $2,000
2) Gas stations in the Keys are not mh friendly.
3) Venture Out in Cudjoe Key is not dog friendly even though they tell you they are.
4) The beaches in the Keys stink. All of them! Due to seaweed. Some were even trashed with litter. You pay to enter all of them also.
5) Key West is a tourist trap. You pay dearly for a parking spot for your vehicle.
6) Sloppy Joes has the best margaritas.
7) Mel Fisher museum and Hemmingway house were great.
8) Car manufacturers can save money by eliminating blinkers since very few people use them.
9) States should recycle speed limit signs since very few pay any attention to them.
10) New Orleans stinks literally! Graphiti everywhere. Everyone after your dollar. Will never go back there!
11) Pat Obriens in the Quarter has great Hurricanes.
Overall a good 3 week trip but now can say been there done that.

Enjoyed reading your review and sorry for the issues having lived in Florida most all of my life. Here is a helpful link should you like to return to any part of Florida Camp Florida is a magazine I see at local RV dealerships here in Florida and have myself found it helpful. As to your post 1. Yes, Love Bugs are a big problem here in two times a year in Florida May and September for two weeks. 2. Service Stations herein Florida, for the most part, are older and therefore came along before Bigger and Bigger Motorhomes. That is why it is a good idea to carry along a book or computer to review exit's via The Next Exit 3. No, the smail is not from the SEAWEED which for thousands of years has come's from the Sargasso Sea in the Atlantic off the coast of Africa Sargasso Sea 4. As for the Beaches, we have some of the best in the world and voted best of all was Clearwater Beach, Florida. As for the stick, we just went through a very bad RED TIDE which killed FISH, Birds and happens here about every 5- 10-year. As for 5, 6, 7, 8, that's true. 9. Understand Florida Drivers are unfamiliar with all kinds of road signage, and vehicle equipment as most are not from Florida, They are from up North where they do not have them up that way, it's all highways up there. 10. They do have some wonderful food dishes and I love to hear the local people talk, with the Kagen flair. As for your travels, you may enjoy a true-up N.E. along Naches Trace Naches Trace NPS information from LA to TN a slow 30-MPH drive with Hikers, Bicycles on the old Indian trail walked for thousands of years by tribes during season changes.

Hope you do check us out again as like most we do try to please others and make them comfortable when visiting our homes, towns Cities and Tourist Traps as we learned for the best.

AikenRacer

Aiken, S.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3) We stayed at Venture Out. Prior to booking, I called them and they said sure we are dog friendly. Well, there is absolutely no where to walk your dog in the complex. Gravel everywhere. The "dog walk" is outside the front gate and is all gravel. No way we could even walk to the dog walk due to the size of the place. This is no place for dogs. This is not really an RV park.
10) The WW2 museum would probably be great but the town itself smells like sewer. The restaurants are nasty unless you spend big bucks and go to somewhere formal. The streets are crowded. People were rude. We went to several sections of town and none were much better. I am sure there are nice places there but I ain't going back to find them.

AikenRacer

Aiken, S.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as the smell at the Key West beaches, yes we knew about the Sargasso sea but the beaches were covered with seaweed. You would need a rake just to get to the water.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> MH trip to Keys & New Orlean lessons
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS