RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Weight distribution with a Hangover

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Weight distribution with a Hangover

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, couldn't resist the title...

My 31' (with the rear bedroom and pass-thru) holds a ton of stuff for us 5, so I struggle to get weight moved to compartments closer to the front axle. Here's our configuration:
Genset behind Drivers seat, then coach battery, small storage (1'*1'*2' deep) then sewage compartment behind the rear axle. Couch (with storage under) then kitchen inside.
Long (lawn chair size) compartment behind the passenger, under the dinette. Coach door, fridge/ fishing rod compartment above the rear axle, small storage (1'*1'*2') then the pass-thru.

We carry (besides lots of clothes and food stuff) a bottle jack & wood chocks, 5-qt oil/ supplies, a basic toolbox, hitch n chains, small BBQ,lawn chairs, small wood boards for leveling, fire pit, lots of outdoor play (balls, telescope, folding scooters) & water gear.

Reading books go in the front cabinets. Dirty laundry moves to the pass-thru if there's space. It doesn't sound like much as I'm writing it, but we routinely exceed the 9500 rear axle and get close to the 5000 lb front axle max.

Appreciate any thoughts from your own experiences. E450 6.7L

Da Moose:2001 31' E450. 30k in 3yrs.
PartyOf5: Driver's DW & 3 pre-teens -trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator
May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had this same problem with my old Class A,I put a storage pod Like this one on the roof as far forward as I could. I then went thru all the storage compartments and took out all the heavy things that I liked to have along like the jack, spare parts, oil even spare water,things that I did not use every trip but wanted to have along just in case.

I was surprised that I had managed to transfer 300 lbs forward to the front axle when I re weighed it.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/19 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Party,

At least you started out by getting it weighed. Others should listen to you. I don't have any clue how to help you.

But you can try the trick we use on sailboats all the time. Unload everything. Look at everything you are carrying, and move off the things you don't remember using. Exempt things like the jack and spare tire, but everything else gets evaluated. I bet (if you are like the rest of us) that you will have to carry a couple hundred pounds of stuff into the house.

Do I have to add BTDT?

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Winnebago Bob

United States

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/19 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing you can do to fix your problem except remove weight.

My Winnebago Aspect 27K has a CCC of 2,600 lbs. It also has a gigantic rear storage area, and the 50 gallon fresh water tank sits on top of the rear axle.

If we didn't pay attention we could exceed our rear axle weight rating without ever coming close to exceeding our CCC.

Without knowing more specifics about your rig and weight situation I don't know what to tell you.

As far as exceeding your capacities with your family onboard, that's your business. I'll just say that I prioritize my passengers over 'stuff' when it comes to weight.

Best of luck.

2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Weight distribution with a Hangover
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.