RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Best In-dash nav and camera system for Minnie Winnie?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Best In-dash nav and camera system for Minnie Winnie?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jungleexplorer

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/19 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ItsyRV wrote:

My recommendation is to try and first find others with aftermarket in-dash systems and look at the actual screen while in the drivers seat. Everything looks good in a display or pictures but can be a whole other thing when mounted in a fixed dash and being looked at by you from your seating position.

I use a Android based navigation system that is mounted on top of the dash. This allows me to adjust the viewing angle regardless of whatever light or reflective condition exist. It also allows me to double up on other Android based apps for the RV such as the TPMS, gas buddy, etc.

As for the cameras, since there is no inside rear view mirror, I had a monitor mounted in that spot for the cameras. While driving, I found it to be a more natural instinct to glance up at the monitor like you would normally glance up at a rear view mirror. With the side mounted cameras, when I use the right turn signal the monitor splits the screen rear/right. When using the left turn signal, it splits left/rear.

My MinWin has a rearview mirror (why I don't know). I installed a dual camera system on my wife's minivan. It has an always on Rearview camera function. Some in-dash systems support a rearview mirror monitor, but if I get one that does not, I can always add a system like I have on my wife's minivan. I think it would be good to have it on the rearview mirror so I can use the main screen for navigation when I driving.

* This post was edited 05/27/19 10:39am by jungleexplorer *

1999 Minnie Winnie WF322R

kelbro

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 03:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not 'in-dash' but Garmin nav systems are hard to beat and their wireless backup camera is great. I put one on the motor home and liked it so much that I added one to my Nissan Xterra.

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We gave up on a dedicated GPS for nav and now only use our phones with Google Maps. You can easily download maps for offline use if you know you're heading into an area without coverage or don't want to incur data charges.

I also mounted my rear view display on the stock mirror location for our Winnie Outlook. The stock mirror was good for checking up on the kids and dogs, but that was about it...

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a Honda Odyssey or Insight (had Ram 2500 CTD, Durango, Liberty...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

jungleexplorer

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, just in case you guys want to see how I did this. Here is a video of the install.

How to install an Android Head Unit in a Minnie Winnie.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jungleexplorer wrote:

My MinWin has a rearview mirror (why I don't know).

I don't know entirely why this may be, but I do know that the Vermont vehicle safety inspection requires there to be an inside rear view mirror, even in vehicles where there is no rear window. You won't pass inspection without one.

I firmly believe it is impossible to overestimate the collective stupidity of a bureaucracy.

jungleexplorer

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

jungleexplorer wrote:

My MinWin has a rearview mirror (why I don't know).

I don't know entirely why this may be, but I do know that the Vermont vehicle safety inspection requires there to be an inside rear view mirror, even in vehicles where there is no rear window. You won't pass inspection without one.

I firmly believe it is impossible to overestimate the collective stupidity of a bureaucracy.

Well, I think I put it to good use though. Check out what I installed in its place in this how-to video.

How to install the AutoVox 2 rearview mirror monitor system.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Best In-dash nav and camera system for Minnie Winnie?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS